Tern's telescopic seatposts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arnop

Regular
Typically I would extend the seatpost always to the max, and even so my leg is not straight at the lowest pedal position.
This is not optimal for performance, wear of my knees, and also puts strain on the frame, as the post is not in touch with the frame's tube on the whole length.

Tern offers a telescopic seatpost that should cure this. I think it is standard on the Vectron, but those have slightly larger tubes.

Can anyone here add some experience on the longevity and general handling of these?

Schwinnsta

I have one and so far so good. I have had it a couple of years. I put it on a Xootr Swift. I have a Thudbuster Short Travel 3g, suspension seat post in the upper half of it, I expect both to last.

OP
OP
A

arnop

Regular
And do you feel that the shock absorber really improves your ride?
I always felt these thing add unnecessary complexity to a bike, same with spring forks. At some point they break and cause trouble.

But thanks for the information.

Schwinnsta

And do you feel that the shock absorber really improves your ride?
I always felt these thing add unnecessary complexity to a bike, same with spring forks. At some point they break and cause trouble.

But thanks for the information.

I largely share your view, but not completely. I tried the Thudbuster long travel and found myself often getting out of synch with it. That has also been my experience with riding Moultons. On the hand, I think the rear shock on Brompton, is a net benefit. I think the short travel Thudbuster is a net benefit, but it maybe my imagination. I do not get out of synch with it, but I barely feel the cushioning effect. I am conflicted on shocks, and of mixed opinion. I generally prefer that the road absorption is done by the tires.

Top Bottom