Terrible Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Does anyone know how many cars are sold each year?
Does anyone know how many cheap kids MTBs and adults BSOs are sold each year?

There are more child's bicycles in this country than motorcars. Then add on the BSOs, low end MTBs, midrange MTBs, good MTBs, high spec MTBs. Then add on all the Hybrids, roadies fixies etc.

A fiver says more bikes leave Halfords each week than cars leave auto dealers.

A bike may cause 1/4 CO2 to make than a Mondeo, but 4 times as many bikes are made than cars.

Look at the Far East, China and India. Count the cars and then try to count the bikes. Good luck.
I'm not sure whether or not you're expecting to us to take you seriously, but, on the off chance that you are...

a) your numbers are wrong
b) if a car is substituted for a bike the carbon output increases

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
On a forum, if you are unsure about a bit of terminology or a statement, put a double ?? after it to signify you are in doubt over it legitimacy.

Cyclists fart more than motorists ??
you don't have a clue??

decca234uk

There's as many bad cyclists as bad motorists, it's a fact and it dowsn't take long to spot one if you cycle regulary. If the government was serious about encouring cycling it would need to implement a full change of road policy that would need to include educating drivers and cyclists, as well as changing the roads to accommodate cyclists. But the government is all talk. We've just had a free spending government that was going to promote cycling but failed to make any significant changes. Where I live, the council paints a line at the side of the road, puts a picture of a guy on a bike and a sign telling everyone it's a cycle lane. The fact that it's usually full of rubbish, broken glass and a few pot holes makes it a danger not enhancement for cyclists. It also gives uneducated drivers the chance to shout "get in the cycle lane" I don't hold out any hope for much improvement on the roads for cyclists.

[QUOTE 1228654"]
That's bonkers. You're comparing apples and pears. Unless you commute to work on a red, 12" wheeled bike with a Fireman Sam honky horn.
[/quote]

Oooh. You got a link? :blush:

As Easy As Riding A Bike

Oooh. You got a link? :blush:

Close enough?

23v13z6.jpg

ferret fur

Cycling Plus this month says that a 10kg road bike of various materials would create the following carbon emissions:
Steel: 42kg
Aluminium: 72kg
Carbon: 114kg
Titanium: 400kg

By way of comparison, a 1,500 tonne Mondeo "costs" 6,260kg of carbon in its manufacture.

The amount of time prepping the food is irrelevant, only the marginal cost over and above what you'd do anyway.

Freighting the finished bikes from the East is actually the best way of getting them here, because many of the raw materials are mined there. It's better to turn the raw materials into finished products where they are extracted than to carry them round the world before refining and manufacturing. The marginal cost of shipping a bike to the UK from the Far East is around 10 litres of fuel, which is not even enough to drive most cars from London to Birmingham.

Driving for two hours to ride a bike seems illogical on ecological grounds, but it is pretty small fry and generally offset within a week if the same person commutes by bike rather than by car.

Bloody Hell. I knew my estate was heavy....