Terrible Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marmalade400

When I go on an Audax, I specially cook a substantial meal to 'carbo load' for the event. I drive to the store where the food has been transported round the world in the same manner as the bike. I drive home and switch on my cooker.
2 hours of electricity later, I eat my meal.
Cycling is not so 'Green'.

Just out of interest what carbohydrates are you cooking for 2 hours?

If I am not riding an audax the next day I might have some pasta for tea, takes 5 minutes to cook.
If I am riding an audax the next day I wil put some extra pasta in the pan, doesn't seem to need any longer to cook.

Crankarm

Guru
My bike isn't green, it's blue. My Brompton is red.

jimboalee

"These ships are propelled by high-efficiency diesel motors like the turbocharged Wartsila-Sulzer RT-flex96-C that consumes more than 1,600 gallons of fuel per hour."

Four weeks to sail from Taiwan to Felixstowe.

jimboalee

Does anyone know how many cars are sold each year?
Does anyone know how many cheap kids MTBs and adults BSOs are sold each year?

There are more child's bicycles in this country than motorcars. Then add on the BSOs, low end MTBs, midrange MTBs, good MTBs, high spec MTBs. Then add on all the Hybrids, roadies fixies etc.

A fiver says more bikes leave Halfords each week than cars leave auto dealers.

A bike may cause 1/4 CO2 to make than a Mondeo, but 4 times as many bikes are made than cars.

Look at the Far East, China and India. Count the cars and then try to count the bikes. Good luck.

marmalade400

"These ships are propelled by high-efficiency diesel motors like the turbocharged Wartsila-Sulzer RT-flex96-C that consumes more than 1,600 gallons of fuel per hour."

That is incredibly efficient! Only 500,000 gallons for the journey. When you consider that you could fit 4 million bikes on one it's only around a litre of fuel to move a bike halfway around the world!

jimboalee

I wish you lot wouldn't be such suckers for media hype.

Take the Kenco advert where they boast 97% less packaging.

The new packet package is metalised film which goes in general waste, taken away and incinerated, which causes a hell of a stink.

The glass jar with its plastic lid. The glass jar goes in the glass waste container, taken away, smashed, melted and used to make new glassware. The plastic lid is put in the plastics waste container, taken away, chipped and used to make new plastic items.

Please tell me how buying a metalised film packet that will ultimately be burned will save the planet?

Wouldn't disagree on the numbers. That engine outputs around 93,000 BHP.
I was just pointing out its still the best way of shifting massive amounts of cargo around the world cheaply. Shipowners run their companies to make money, its the volumes involved that make burning that amount of fuel and still transporting cargo for next to nothing profitable. Ships also do not pay any fuel duties, as is the case with aircraft.

The best alternative would not to be moving it about at all but manufacturing in the country/region it is going to be consumed in. Making rubber ducks on the other side of the world and getting them into the high street cheaper than making them in the factory next door just strikes me as bizzarre madness.

BSOs infuriate me. Something made in far east, shipped here, used for a bit then to the local recycling centre shortly afterwards as it breaks and is awful to ride, scrapped then shipped bag to china to make more BSOs with. Aaaaaah!

jimboalee

Wouldn't disagree on the numbers. That engine outputs around 93,000 BHP.
I was just pointing out its still the best way of shifting massive amounts of cargo around the world cheaply. Shipowners run their companies to make money, its the volumes involved that make burning that amount of fuel and still transporting cargo for next to nothing profitable. Ships also do not pay any fuel duties, as is the case with aircraft.

The best alternative would not to be moving it about at all but manufacturing in the country/region it is going to be consumed in. Making rubber ducks on the other side of the world and getting them into the high street cheaper than making them in the factory next door just strikes me as bizzarre madness.

BSOs infuriate me. Something made in far east, shipped here, used for a bit then to the local recycling centre shortly afterwards as it breaks and is awful to ride, scrapped then shipped bag to china to make more BSOs with. Aaaaaah!

The ducks make their own way to England.
P1937_26-10-10.jpg

This one took six months from Yantian. A 'one line' address, but it got to me.

Norm

A bike may cause 1/4 CO2 to make than a Mondeo, but 4 times as many bikes are made than cars.
Fail x 2, Jimbo.

An ally bike, as I posted, creates 72kg in its manufacture, compared to 6 1/4 tonnes for a Mondeo, so the ratio is 1:86 rather than 1:4.

And the total bike market in the UK in 2009 was around 3.6m, compared to around 2m cars, so it's under twice the number rather than 4 times the number.

You are also missing, wilfully at a guess, that the bike does it's nastiness in its manufacture. Other than lubricating oils and consumables, that's about it. The car not only needs more lubricating oil and consumables, it also needs fuel.

The best alternative would not to be moving it about at all but manufacturing in the country/region it is going to be consumed in.
Sorry, that's wrong too. The best alternative is to manufacture at the point of extraction, not at the point of consumption. That way you only move about the finished goods, not the stuff which is thrown away in the refining process.

400bhp

Guru
Does anyone know how many cars are sold each year?
Does anyone know how many cheap kids MTBs and adults BSOs are sold each year?

There are more child's bicycles in this country than motorcars. Then add on the BSOs, low end MTBs, midrange MTBs, good MTBs, high spec MTBs. Then add on all the Hybrids, roadies fixies etc.

Look at the Far East, China and India. Count the cars and then try to count the bikes. Good luck.

2 m cars sold in the UK in 2009
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8445327.stm

Vs 1m bikes sold by Halfords
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/30467/Halford-tops-a-million-a-year

Can I have my fiver please.

When you have stopped making up figures come back and discuss.

Sorry, that's wrong too. The best alternative is to manufacture at the point of extraction, not at the point of consumption. That way you only move about the finished goods, not the stuff which is thrown away in the refining process.

You are of course correct. Ideally both points would be close together.