Tesco - supporting traditional fishing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
fishcakes.jpg

Good to see that Tesco are encouraging traditional fishing practices. Many may have no idea the trade existed.

As it happens, I come from a long line of Cromer Cakers, who put out to sea in their small boats in all weathers to catch the elusive fishcake. Of course, back then there was no technology to detect the shoals and no Russian factory cakers stripping the sea floor of everything in their path, breadcrumbs and all.

Instead, small shelters were dug into the top of Gunton Cliffs. Known as cakeholes, it was here where the fishcake huers watched the far horizon for hours for any signs of foam flecking from swirling shoals of potatoes and parsley that heralded the arrival of the first spring catch. On spotting a likely candidate, the huer raised the hue and cry by shouting with all their might. Then, pausing only to shut their cakehole, they ran down to the beach to join their fellow fishermen going out to sea.

The trade was doomed, of course. With the principal customer being school canteens, the packed lunch was its death knell.

I see that Tesco also sells outdoor reared pork sausages. Now I'm no expert on these but I know they do cause havoc when they escape their pens.

Drago

Legendary Member
Caught in the wild...and overfished by factory fishing practices? Surely simply being a wild fishie doesn't make it sustainable?

OP
OP
Rezillo

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I wonder what bait they use to catch a fishcake.

A scatter of chives on the surface of the sea does the trick. Or at least gets them close enough to Drago's club but potato splatter is a very real risk.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
And in the mean time we have two factory trawlers on the south coast, one is the second largest in the world Margiris and Annie Hillina owned by Dutch and German company, our government know about it, but as usual we can't do sod all about it as they are 12 miles + off the coast not only are the catching fish, but all the discards are being turned in to fishmeal which could mean the odd dolphin or three, I don't think they are there by accident I do believe the timing is to do with Brexit and they are sticking two fingers up at us.:angry:

Top Bottom