1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesco's Christmas Advert

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Chris S, 14 Nov 2017.

1. Chris S

Chris S Veteran

2. FishFright

FishFright Senior Member

My experience differs from yours in that many of the Muslim families I know do celebrate Christmas. Most celebrate it as a non religious holiday as do a huge proportion of the population nowadays* and others celebrate it as a minor religious festival as Jesus is the penultimate prophet and messenger of god. So I see zero issue with this add as it reflects reality.

* How many families do you know that actually treat Christmas as a religious time and spend considerable time in prayer and reflection ? I know one but there is no doubt several on here who do. Most people seem to celebrate by getting fat, drunk and skint for Jesus. I'm an atheist and only bother at all because of family.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

^^^^
    This! Many Muslims do celebrate Christmas. I wonder if those who are getting their bigoted knickers in a twist also spotted the Sikhs in the ad...?

As it is, I quite like the Tesco ad as it is a more honest portrayal of what Christmas is like in many homes.... and it demonstrates why Mr R and I (and Jack) shall be spending the time on our own in a graveyard! ^_^

4. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Über Member

I was rather nonplussed when I read reports about this yesterday. I hadn't noticed there was a Muslim family included. Astonishing, rather hysterical response from some.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Regulator

It appears that, like so many other moral panics in recent years, this has its origin on Mumsnet...

6. Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig Über Member

TBH who cares? I'm not religious but celebrate Xmas with my family. It has become a traditional British celebration so im not sure why some religious people get so precious about others celebrating it?

7. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Über Member

I wonder if it's actually religious people, as you term them, or people with another outlook, shall we say?

Perhaps the kind of people who castigate communities for their lack of integration?

8. Smeggers II

Smeggers II Daphne Ariadne Clingfilm

9. green1

green1 Über Member

I celebrate Yule, christmas whatever you want to call it for its original meaning, the passing of mid winter. It's a depressing time of year permanently dark and cold but at least it will now be improving. It's as good reason as any for a piss up and feast.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

I'd not seen the Tesco ad until just now

Racist: The problem with Muslims is they just won't integrate

Muslim: It's Christmas and although I'm not Christian, I'm going to join in with the festive fun

Racist: What do you think you're doing? You can't join in with our Christmas celebrations

FFS, mouth breathers

• Like Like x 6
  11. Regulator

And it's worth noting that your link just relates to whether there is a linked public holiday.

It rather amusingly has a section entitled 'Which Countries Don't Celebrate Christmas Day" and list, amongst others, Israel.

Riiiiiiggggghhht... 'cos no-one celebrates Christmas in the Holy Land. :wacko:^_^

Last edited: 14 Nov 2017
  12. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

Loads of Muslims do celebrate Xmas, not usually all guns blazing but they often give presents and have some sort of Xmas dinner.
    Really Christmas is now basically a childrens holiday and its very far removed from the religious aspect now for a lot of people.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pplpilot

pplpilot Veteran

If it bothers people that Muslim/Hindu/Green men from mars appear in an advert on tv they need to

1 - Educate themselves about what most people get up to on Christmas day

2 - Take a look around in the world and get worked up about things that really matter

3 - Get a fecking life.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

Saw the ad yesterday and saw nothing offensive in it.

BTW I don't celebrate Christmas.

15. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

They are of course referring to all manufacturers of dairy produce.
    Israel, being a mostly Jewish country, has no official holiday for Christmas but Christians are free to celebrate on the many different Christmas Days that various branches and sects choose. If there was to be an official holiday, they would have to choose an official day. For countries with a dominant or established church, it is easy to select a day, but Israel has significant numbers of all branches, Roman, Coptic, Orthodox, Armenian. Given how they fight over cleaning rights to the holy sepulchre, there would be a blood bath on the streets if one sect were given official status over the others.

• Like Like x 2