Tesco's Christmas Advert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
My experience differs from yours in that many of the Muslim families I know do celebrate Christmas. Most celebrate it as a non religious holiday as do a huge proportion of the population nowadays* and others celebrate it as a minor religious festival as Jesus is the penultimate prophet and messenger of god. So I see zero issue with this add as it reflects reality.

* How many families do you know that actually treat Christmas as a religious time and spend considerable time in prayer and reflection ? I know one but there is no doubt several on here who do. Most people seem to celebrate by getting fat, drunk and skint for Jesus. I'm an atheist and only bother at all because of family.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
TBH who cares? I'm not religious but celebrate Xmas with my family. It has become a traditional British celebration so im not sure why some religious people get so precious about others celebrating it?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
TBH who cares? I'm not religious but celebrate Xmas with my family. It has become a traditional British celebration so im not sure why some religious people get so precious about others celebrating it?
I wonder if it's actually religious people, as you term them, or people with another outlook, shall we say?

Perhaps the kind of people who castigate communities for their lack of integration?

green1

Über Member
I celebrate Yule, christmas whatever you want to call it for its original meaning, the passing of mid winter. It's a depressing time of year permanently dark and cold but at least it will now be improving. It's as good reason as any for a piss up and feast.

pplpilot

Guru
If it bothers people that Muslim/Hindu/Green men from mars appear in an advert on tv they need to

1 - Educate themselves about what most people get up to on Christmas day

2 - Take a look around in the world and get worked up about things that really matter

3 - Get a fecking life.

Lonestar

Veteran
Saw the ad yesterday and saw nothing offensive in it.

BTW I don't celebrate Christmas.

It rather amusingly has a section entitled 'Which Countries Don't Celebrate Christmas Day" and list, amongst others, Israel.
Riiiiiiggggghhht... 'cos no-one celebrates Christmas in the Holy Land. :wacko:^_^

They are of course referring to all manufacturers of dairy produce.
Israel, being a mostly Jewish country, has no official holiday for Christmas but Christians are free to celebrate on the many different Christmas Days that various branches and sects choose. If there was to be an official holiday, they would have to choose an official day. For countries with a dominant or established church, it is easy to select a day, but Israel has significant numbers of all branches, Roman, Coptic, Orthodox, Armenian. Given how they fight over cleaning rights to the holy sepulchre, there would be a blood bath on the streets if one sect were given official status over the others.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Let's just hate the Tesco ad for running it in early November, the lying "Everyone's welcome" slogan (Tesco have previously banned people from popping in with a coat over their pyjamas, someone dressed as a Jedi (for a fancy-dress party IIRC) because they considered it a hoodie - no idea if they've banned hoodies too - and an entire Coventry school after a couple of kids suspected to be from it were caught shoplifting) and the wishy-washy-wailing butchering of another bouncy Christmas pop classic.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Let's just hate the Tesco ad for running it in early November, the lying "Everyone's welcome" slogan (Tesco have previously banned people from popping in with a coat over their pyjamas, someone dressed as a Jedi (for a fancy-dress party IIRC) because they considered it a hoodie - no idea if they've banned hoodies too - and an entire Coventry school after a couple of kids suspected to be from it were caught shoplifting) and the wishy-washy-wailing butchering of another bouncy Christmas pop classic.
You didn't even mention the poor quality of food they have there or how the try and suppess their suppliers...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If there was to be an official holiday, they would have to choose an official day. For countries with a dominant or established church, it is easy to select a day, but Israel has significant numbers of all branches, Roman, Coptic, Orthodox, Armenian.

I give you an hour or two before @User points out that everyone celebrates on the same day - it's just that some people use a different calendar. If you're really lucky he might remember that protestants exist, too.

Top Bottom