Tescos spawn of the devil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
dan_bo said:
Yes that is a tad patronising Dom, but there is a difference between a business and a megalomaniac empire of facist doom. Surely you are able to discern.

you've been worrying about this a little too much, haven't you? :smile:

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The boss of Tescos is a reet baddy

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Arch said:
It was while perusing the 'reduced groceries' that I discovered that you can now get special gravy in sachets, to pour over dog food.... :smile:
I'd rather pour it over a nice roast, personally, but each to their own. :blush:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Elmer Fudd said:
Nah! Raj's mini mart is convenient, open 'til 11 and only 50yds away.
Yeah, the cornershop...where else can you go if you need Marmite, a skipping rope and a lightbulb on a Sunday evening?

SamNichols

So, here goes my Tesco analysis:
1) I am always in two minds about Tesco, as despite the fact that I am all for local economy, Tesco essentially paid my rent throughout my degree. This is primarily because my father works for Tesco as a computer system's designer, and has done since I can remember (wine website is his baby, as are a good deal of the pay at pump petrol things: not the actual system, but behind the scenes bits and bobs).
2) Tesco is one of Britain's primary business successes, it not only has national profile, but international profile in: Korea, Japan, Eastern Europe, Ireland, US. It is currently the world's third largest supermarket, behind Walmart (which leaves the rest of them standing in terms of profits) and Carrefour.
BUT
3) supermarkets lower consumer expectations: whereas we used to pay more for food, in terms of division of wages, a far lower proportion is now spent on groceries. Part of this is because of the mass-produced food we now eat, but part of it is the way they treat farmers. For the most part, farmers are treated atrociously by supermarket chains, even organic farmers. This isn't due to evil, per se, but is an outcome of the capitalist system.
4) Supermarkets have had a tendency to wipe out local business, especially the high street food shops. Again, this isn't primarily the supermarket's fault, but is part and parcel of changing work/life balances etc.

As it is, the supermarket is more of a symptom of the problems of our way of living than the cause of the problems.

domtyler

Über Member
MrGrumpy said:
That is quite correct, but joking aside from my post, supermarkets are becoming alarmingly powerfull. Tesco in my town own all the small retail units round about them, they purposefully put up the rent on all of them to try and oust the small traders becuase they wanted to expand, all that was left are the ones they would like to see inside their new Supermarket, pity the council stuck two fingers up at them :smile:. Someone quoted me that in Inverness, Tesco have over 50% of the food market cornered !!

http://www.tescotown.co.uk/

Ahem, they did not grow this powerful by magic. It may have had something to do with a fantastic business plan. You need to remember that you have more than played your part in creating this monster as, by your own admission, you have not shown any restraint when shopping there.

domtyler

Über Member
SamNichols said:
1) I am always in two minds about Tesco, as despite the fact that I am all for local economy, Tesco essentially paid my rent throughout my degree. This is primarily because my father works for Tesco as a computer system's designer, and has done since I can remember (wine website is his baby, as are a good deal of the pay at pump petrol things: not the actual system, but behind the scenes bits and bobs).
2) Tesco is one of Britain's primary business successes, it not only has national profile, but international profile in: Korea, Japan, Eastern Europe, Ireland, US. It is currently the world's third largest supermarket, behind Walmart (which leaves the rest of them standing in terms of profits) and Carrefour.
BUT
3) supermarkets lower consumer expectations: whereas we used to pay more for food, in terms of division of wages, a far lower proportion is now spent on groceries. Part of this is because of the mass-produced food we now eat, but part of it is the way they treat farmers. For the most part, farmers are treated atrociously by supermarket chains, even organic farmers. This isn't due to evil, per se, but is an outcome of the capitalist system.
4) Supermarkets have had a tendency to wipe out local business, especially the high street food shops. Again, this isn't primarily the supermarket's fault, but is part and parcel of changing work/life balances etc.

As it is, the supermarket is more of a symptom of the problems of our way of living than the cause of the problems.

What you say is largely true but I do have a few issues with your post:

1) Nope, your Dad paid for your rent not Tesco.
2) ---
3) Surely you mean they RAISE consumer expectations?
4) ---

SamNichols said:
2) Tesco is one of Britain's primary business successes, it not only has

Sam, Sam. We think Tescos is wonderful. Can you ask your Dad for the bit of code that does the free wine to your door etc please. Quick smart actually - we talk too much on CycleChat...thirsty work; oh, and some free diesel too. Ta. :smile:

vbc

I had a walk up to my local Tesco this afternoon and spotted a banner in the car park which says (something like), "Tesco, helping you spend less!"

If you do want to spend less, go there on foot, if you have to lug home everything you buy then you'll be spending less, believe me.

SamNichols

domtyler said:
What you say is largely true but I do have a few issues with your post:

1) Nope, your Dad paid for your rent not Tesco.
2) ---
3) Surely you mean they RAISE consumer expectations?
4) ---

1) True, but my dad is employed by Tesco and hence they paid my rent, via him. So, they have kept me sheltered, albeit indirectly.

2) I mean lower expectations: there are two expectations - price and quality. Unfortunately it is normally true that as one lowers, the other one does and vice versa. Tescos get away with cheap prices by mas packaging mediocrity: such as tomatoes. We can now have tomatoes all year round. What a boon! Unfortunately, it means that our tomatoes don't taste like tomatoes any more, but we can pay less for them as we acknowledge that the tomatoes aren't great.

Top Bottom