Texting & Road deaths - any link?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Of course I'm sure you're aware that vehicles turning into a side road should give way to pedestrians already crossing.

<sigh>

Yes, which is why I said we're going dead slow and watching out for them. We're watching out to see if they bother looking BEFORE they start to cross. If they are crossing already, we can see that. We do use our eyes and brains you know.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Does the average person notice people on the phone or is it something that cyclists get used to looking out for? I also notice people not using a seat belt too. I don't know if I subconsciously look out for people displaying those behaviours and expect their driving to be worse or if your average person in a car/pedestrian notices them as well?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Does the average person notice people on the phone or is it something that cyclists get used to looking out for? I also notice people not using a seat belt too. I don't know if I subconsciously look out for people displaying those behaviours and expect their driving to be worse or if your average person in a car/pedestrian notices them as well?

I suspect we notice it more for a couple of reasons. 1. we're more aware of the effect of bad driving and how it risks our personal safety, and 2. we mix more with drivers on the road, we get closer to them than the average pedestrian, and we're probably within sight of each driver for a bit longer, since we often leapfrog them in traffic, or have them in sight for longer than just a second as they whizz by. Also, we're more often alongside them, rather than sitting directly in front or behind, which makes it easier to see.

I saw a guy sucking his thumb the other day!

subaqua

What’s the point
and how would you stop it? we have a limited number of police officers and we don't have cctv and mobile phone monitoring in every car.

i reckon you shouldn't just have a key for your car, you should have to slot your phone into the dash. which also activated the in car comms kit.
combined with those new wireless keys it should be safe enough. can't remove phone without it cutting the engine.
sadly that'd be expensive and would make your car cost several thousand more most like.

buy a bicycle!

regarding ped deaths, i think we should make them all wear helmets.....

what if you don't have a mobile phone ??

subaqua

What’s the point

before i got back into cycling i always used to spot them, so did wifey, so no not a cyclist thing IMO. i can spot the tards who don't make their kids in the rear wear a seatbelt or put them in a proper child seat.

Top Bottom