Thailand - Nakhon Ratchasima/Phimai/Phanom Rung

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Only without bike. You need to be aware Thailand’s roads are very dangerous and have one the highest death rates in the world, second only to Libya.

OP
OP
U

User66445

I am fully aware of that, I spend part of the year there. However, the smaller country roads are usually well-paved and carry little traffic. South of Bangkok, from Hua Hin onwards there are wide, properly constructed bicycle paths that are the equal of those in the Netherlands, albeit not as extensive. Cycling is popular now in Thailand, so the junta is putting more money into them. There's even a circuit around Suvarnabhumi for those wishing to get over jet lag on their bicycles :smile:.

I found Thailand roads not so bad as some say, you just have to use common sense and not put yourself in a position that will get you killed, when I first cycled around Thailand 30 years ago, the roads where manic with little room for cars, buses and cyclist with bus's forcing cyclist onto the rough edge of the road. over the last 10 years the roads have improved greatly, however the behaviour of some drivers have not. The greatest danger to the cycle tourist is young thai girls with sweet smiles. Personally I would just go for it, remember you can use Google earth street view to check out your planned route which will give you an idea what the roads are like.

Alan O

Über Member
I can't help with cycling there much (although one of these days I'll get a bike while I'm there - my wife and I have a home in Thailand, but it's in Bangkok and I don't much fancy cycling in the city).

All I can say is that I've traveled round that part of the country a fair bit (I'm a sucker for Khmer ruins) by car, bus, train, motorbike, and I reckon it's generally pretty laid-back and I think I'd be happy enough to cycle there. I'd probably use backpacker guesthouses and be sure to take my bike into my room.

I did notice a few stretches of cycle path in the areas last year, including one short one along (I think) the main Saraburi-Nakhon Ratchasima road, but they're very scarce and intermittent.

Top Bottom