Thames Materials Ltd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
hopefully if people google them they will see some of the headlines.

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=ps...=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=1aac15d7857edbcb

As for a protest, maybe good. Depends if they have or haven't changed their policies since this happened. Bit like with that skip company where the person's mum bought shares and now they have loads of cycle friendly policies.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Pro's - it's entirely appropriate

Con's - most people are not available during the week, and Thames Materials are probably shut over the weekend

There is another line of attack. Letters to a hundred main contractors signed by as many of us as possible. And a letter to the HSE, which is entirely uninterested in off-site deaths - a pity, because they outnumber on-site deaths.

I've put a draft letter in the HGV thread

Negscratch

Just read about this appalling case on the LCC website. I urge all you London cyclists to do what you can to highlight this tragedy and to protest against Thames Materials. Really like the idea of writing to their clients. Good luck and RIP Ms. Patel.

hatler

Guru
Here's a letter to my MP before this week's fatality.

Dear Mr Hammond,

You may have read about the tragic death of Catriona Patel. Catriona was killed by a truck owned by Thames Materials of Hanwell (http;//www.thamesmaterials.com) which turned left across her. The driver had been drinking, and he was on his mobile phone when he ran over Catriona. He has just started a seven year jail sentence.

This appalling incident need not have happened. Thames Materials employed Dennis Putz despite his appalling record. He had twice been jailed for driving offences. He’d been caught driving while disqualified sixteen times. Either Thames Materials didn’t check, or they didn’t care.

I ask that you consider pressing for three courses of action.

1 That the CPS prosecute Thames Materials. There is a requirement, as part of the Operator's Licence, for a company to run its commercial vehicle fleet in a safe and legal manner. This should surely include an inspection of all drivers' licences on a regular basis to check that they are correctly licensed to drive the right class of HGV, their licence haven't been suspended or expired, the licences are not forged, the driver's medical is up to date and that they haven't collected any undeclared points since the last inspection. Clearly Thames Materials did not run its fleet in a safe and legal manner.

2 That the HSE should investigate, and prosecute where appropriate, ALL road traffic incidents involving a commercial vehicle which results in a fatality.

3 I understand that many waste disposal companies operate a driver remuneration scheme whereby drivers receive additional pay per load delivered. Such a policy is clearly at odds with the basic principles of road safety and I believe such schemes should be made illegal for all commercial vehicle operators.

Yours sincerely,

Top Bottom