England : London Thames Path Meander - The Silly Version (4-5 Sept)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrij

Über Member
Some folk here have enjoyed my Thames Path Meander (e.g. Mk III, Mk IV - links to the other place). Some of you lot also like riding through the night.

One lovely evening I decided to take a scenic route home from the pub and ended up riding most of the southern half of the TPM route. I was reminded how pretty London can be at night. This got me thinking...

An overnight Thames Path Meander? The route would be more or less the same (but no ferry) and BYO food for a mid-ride picnic.

Details:
* Depart 23:00 from Southwark Needle, southern end of London Bridge.
* Standard Thames Path Meander route, with some diversions, finish near Tower of London; 50km, more or less.
* Along the way I will regale/bore (delete as appropriate) with historical trivia.
* BYO sustenance, both liquid and solid - we'll find a suitable spot mid-ride for a picnic. Do NOT rely on finding anything open along the route.
* ATM breakfast will be on Brick Lane, unless someone can recommend a decent fry-up at 06:00 on a Saturday.
* It's a silly ride, so get in the spirit. Bike decoration is encouraged; fortified beverages will not be frowned upon.
* If you employ flashing front/rear lights on the ride you will end up in the Thames - you're bike will be spared if I happen to like it.
* A good front light is vital. Many stretches are unlit and surfaces can be less than perfect.
* If you commit to doing the ride, please send me your mobile number via PM; I will reciprocate.

Apologies for the late notice.

Pedalabit

Veteran
Andrij

Looking at options to come to London for the ride.

Do you have any plans prior to the ride?

Could you advise the route please ?

What time train should I plan for to leave London on the Saturday.

Thanks
Trevor

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Trevor,

Sorry for the delay - I somehow missed your post, sorry.

Pre-ride, I can recommend the Mudlark, which is near the start. I can met you there for a pre-ride warm-up.

Without revealing detail (it's complicated and would also spoil surprises), the route is heading east from London Bridge, staying as close to the south bank of the Thames as possible, crossing through the Woolwich foot tunnel, then back to the City, again staying as close to the river as possible.

I would expect us to be tucking into bagels (other grub available) on Brick Lane by 06:00. Which station would you be using?

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
We've a group of eight so far. If you're coming please raise your hand, send my your mobile number, and let me know if you're on a trike or tandem (of any sort) as route adjustments would need to be made.

Pedalabit

Veteran
Andrij

Thank you for the information - sounds good fun. I will not join you on this ride but would welcome the chance to join you all on a ride in the future. Thanks again - Happy Cycling

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
As I've got a bad nerve/muscle thing going on in my back at the moment I'm off the bike for anything longer than a run to the pub. So, anyhow, what time do you expect to arrive in Greenwich? I can meet you there with a bottle of brandy and plastic cups. Pre-fortifying must be like pre-loading carbs.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
I would think we'd hit Greenwich around 00:30. How does West end of the footbridge over Deptford Creek work for you?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I would think we'd hit Greenwich around 00:30. How does West end of the footbridge over Deptford Creek work for you?
That works. I won't even have to leave Deptford! I may not be entirely sober but that doesn't really count as a handicap. Shame I can't commit to the ride but a little flat 10 miles set me back 4 days.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Ouch.

Thanks for the offer, look forward to seeing you. BTW, please PM me your mobile number and name - I'll drop you a line if we're off-schedule.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
*yawn* *stretch* *yawn*

Well, that seemed to have worked out pretty well. :smile:

Thanks go out to:
* my guinea pigs everyone who came out for the inaugural Thames Path Meander overnight ride
* deptfordmarmoset for the brandy stop
* gerwinium and jsabine for deploying local knowledge in Greenwich
* TimO for being a bad man and putting into my head the thought of taking the train home (good call!)

I will definitely do this again, but probably not until next year (getting too cool at night for a slow ride).

Top Bottom