Thanks son!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
It's now the Easter holiday here.
So I said to the boy (13 with autism) to put his school clothes out for the laundry.
Today I am doing the laundry.
I have washed so many pairs of trousers and shirts....then I realised...
he has put ALL his school clothes out for washing! Yes, even the ones hanging up clean and some shirts that don't fit!
One day I will learn to be more specific.
Actually he often says 'Mother, can you be more specific' or 'Can you expand on that please'
:laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
So I said to the boy (13 with autism) to put his school clothes out for the laundry.
he has put ALL his school clothes out for washing! Yes, even the ones hanging up clean and some shirts that don't fit!
Actually he often says 'Mother, can you be more specific' or 'Can you expand on that please'

So don't tell me, you are now laughing your head off at it, whilst he looks on the floor for your head??:laugh:

MikeG

Guru

My eldest daughter has Asperger's, and this story could easily have happened to us. Not understanding idioms (ie taking them literally), is a classic trait, as is the complete inability to understand body language and facial expressions......the thing we had the biggest difficulty with during her childhood. Also, lack of unawareness of surroundings, and no sense of direction whatsoever were a pain. Oh, and there was that weird thing of always talking at the same volume, whether you were standing next to her or at the other end of the garden, then getting really frustrated that we hadn't heard what she'd said.

Now, to give you some sense of perspective........she is 25 and studying for a Masters post graduate degree in Copenhagen, coping happily alone in a foreign city, and thriving in an academic environment with a great circle of friends. Eventually, she learnt ways around the stuff that the rest of us just knew instinctively.

Mike

Sara_H

Guru
I worked for a period in a residential home where some of the residents had autism. I was tasked one day with helping a couple of the residents prepare dinner. I left one chap in charge of chopping the potatoes into cubes, after showing him roughly what size they needed to be. Went back 10 minutes later to find him painstakingly cutting single cubes out of the spuds!

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Oh yes, we have lots of those moments - I could write a book!
When he was young, part of his homework was to draw the time on clock faces.
He didn't understand what was being asked of him so I tried explaining it another way by saying
"Draw the hands on the blank clock, pointing to the correct time".
So he did...perfectly.
Little tiny hands with 5 fingers, on each clock, pointing to exactly the right time!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
My eldest daughter has Asperger's, and this story could easily have happened to us. Not understanding idioms (ie taking them literally), is a classic trait, as is the complete inability to understand body language and facial expressions......the thing we had the biggest difficulty with during her childhood. Also, lack of unawareness of surroundings, and no sense of direction whatsoever were a pain. Oh, and there was that weird thing of always talking at the same volume, whether you were standing next to her or at the other end of the garden, then getting really frustrated that we hadn't heard what she'd said.

Now, to give you some sense of perspective........she is 25 and studying for a Masters post graduate degree in Copenhagen, coping happily alone in a foreign city, and thriving in an academic environment with a great circle of friends. Eventually, she learnt ways around the stuff that the rest of us just knew instinctively.

Mike
He is coming around to the idea of going to Uni after getting over his initial disappointment that he couldn't be a Clone Trooper or join the Army.
He wants to be an engineer of some description...just a pity his school dropped the Electronics GCSE, due to only 6 kids wanting to take the course.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
He is coming around to the idea of going to Uni after getting over his initial disappointment that he couldn't be a Clone Trooper or join the Army.
He wants to be an engineer of some description...just a pity his school dropped the Electronics GCSE, due to only 6 kids wanting to take the course.

GCSE, in Scotland??

Top Bottom