Thankyou Magnatom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QuickDraw

I was cycling home Friday night. Maryhill Road just past Firhill, 4 lane road, left lane is a bus lane. There's a bus in the normal lane because there's a big queue of cars and some cars parked in the bus lane further up. I was going up the inside but the bus was stopped a few yards short of a bus stop so the driver opened the door to let his passengers off just as I reached the back of the bus. I saw what was happening and had plenty of time to slow down but the driver saw me in his wing mirror, spoke to one of the passengers and closed the door till I went past.

It's the best treatment I've ever had from a bus driver. It was a First Bus and as I waved to the driver to say thanks. I wondered how much of an effect the campaign has had. Maybe he was just a decent guy with good road awareness and would have been like that but maybe the campaign has made the difference.

Thanks anyway for whatever part you played in it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
QuickDraw said:
I was cycling home Friday night. Maryhill Road just past Firhill, 4 lane road, left lane is a bus lane. There's a bus in the normal lane because there's a big queue of cars and some cars parked in the bus lane further up. I was going up the inside but the bus was stopped a few yards short of a bus stop so the driver opened the door to let his passengers off just as I reached the back of the bus. I saw what was happening and had plenty of time to slow down but the driver saw me in his wing mirror, spoke to one of the passengers and closed the door till I went past.

It's the best treatment I've ever had from a bus driver. It was a First Bus and as I waved to the driver to say thanks. I wondered how much of an effect the campaign has had. Maybe he was just a decent guy with good road awareness and would have been like that but maybe the campaign has made the difference.

Thanks anyway for whatever part you played in it.

Sounds like excellent care taken all round.:smile:

I suggest you contact First to offer your praise to them. We're always quick to complain, and even if the guy was only doing what he ought to, that seems to be rarer and rarer these days and a bit of praise never goes amiss, and reinforces the behaviour...

domtyler

Über Member
If he was not at a bus stop and had allowed his passengers to alight into oncoming traffic he would have been in deep, deep shoot.

He was more likely to have been preserving his own job than thinking of you I am afraid.

:smile::blush::blush: Oh shucks!

Thanks Quickdraw! I'd love to think that my wee campaign has made a difference. Maybe it has, maybe it hasn't. We'll never know, but I think it was certainly worth trying and I don't think it has done any harm.

I think there are a lot of good bus drivers out there. What probably helps more than any campaign was your wave of thanks at the end. The next time he sees a cyclist hopefully he will remember that and continue to be nice to cyclists. Well done Quickdraw!!

Actually, you have reminded me I need to get into contact with the council again. Hopefully they are going to help with a more generally aimed campaign at some point over the next year. I'm hoping the campaign will in some way will focus on humanising cyclists (and other road users). We'll see what happens.

As an aside, I know exactly where you are. A few years back I lived in a flat on Braeside Street just off Maryhill road. I wasn't cycling then though...

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
Sounds like excellent care taken all round.:sad:

I suggest you contact First to offer your praise to them. We're always quick to complain, and even if the guy was only doing what he ought to, that seems to be rarer and rarer these days and a bit of praise never goes amiss, and reinforces the behaviour...

I don't think the driver will appreciate a letter to his boss telling him that he was about to let his passengers alight into oncoming traffic when he spotted a cyclist and changed his mind. :smile:

Hey Quickdraw,

I've just been thinking. We will probably be meeting up on the cycle jersey tour thingy.

I change my mind. The treatment you received from the driver was totally a result of my campaign. You have an awful lot to thank me for!

(So you'll be getting the beers in when we meet then :smile::biggrin:)

OP
OP
Q

QuickDraw

Arch said:
Sounds like excellent care taken all round.:smile:

Sounds like a good idea.

Magna have you got an email address I can use for this?

Dom - The passengers were never in danger and obviously the driver had been checking his mirrors to see me so he probably checked it was safe before opening the door.

Quickdraw,

I originally sent my complaint here

glasgow.directors@firstgroup.com

So this might be the best place. I also have an e-mail address for the public relations manager which I could PM you if you like.

Tete,

You weren't to know, but apparently the paramedic died at the end of last year (it's on the bloodbus forum). I think it was related to the epilepsy he suffered.

Tetedelacourse

magnatom said:
Quickdraw,

So this might be the best place. I also have an e-mail address for the public relations manager which I could PM you if you like.

Tete,

You weren't to know, but apparently the paramedic died at the end of last year (it's on the bloodbus forum). I think it was related to the epilepsy he suffered.

:smile:

OP
OP
Q

QuickDraw

magnatom said:
Quickdraw,

Email sent. That's my good deed done for the day. I never took note of the number so it can't get back to the driver concerned but at least it's a positive sign for the Give Cyclists Room campaign and might help persuade anyone who doubts the benefits of it.

domd1979

Veteran
Although the driver was careful in practice, and was obviously sensible about the whole thing he technically shouldn't have unloaded as he did unless there was no other way. Therefore, gaffers may well tell him off if you send a mail. Best thing is just to wave ta very much and leave it at that.

Conduct of Drivers Regulations require that:

"A driver must stop as closely as possible to the left or nearside when picking up or setting down passengers at the roadside" and

A driver or conductor "must take reasonable precautions for the safety of passengers who are either boarding or alighting from a vehicle or who are already on board a vehicle"

Bus companies are increasingly paranoid about buses unloading away from stops, hence "hail and ride" on town services becoming less common.

QuickDraw said:
Dom - The passengers were never in danger and obviously the driver had been checking his mirrors to see me so he probably checked it was safe before opening the door.

Top Bottom