That (nearly) escalated quickly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just around the corner from my place there is a narrow bridge, and last night I was heading towards, and a car that should have given way to me charged through. This happens about half the time, but it never bothers me as I am nearly home, plus the bridge is probably wider than surrounding streets, when cars are parked on either side.

Anyway, her headlights were off and it was 10pm so I shouted "lights" as she passed. She stopped her car, got and and said "what did you say?" She was ready to rumble!

Of course I explained, and she drove off. Amazing how often someone whose time is so precious she can't wait a second to give way somehow finds time for a fight.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Well handled ! Graceless cockwomble driver.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Glad it didn't turn nasty for you. Andy, a mate of mine is about 7' tall and built to last. He's frightening, really. He doesn't ride a bike, but every road rage story he tells starts and ends like this:
Mad Andy said:
So I pulled over and he's out of his car and walking up to mine. I got out and he turned round and got back in his car...
I'd love to be able to do that. he doesn't even have to say anything.

KneesUp

Guru
Glad it didn't turn nasty for you. Andy, a mate of mine is about 7' tall and built to last. He's frightening, really. He doesn't ride a bike, but every road rage story he tells starts and ends like this:
I'd love to be able to do that. he doesn't even have to say anything.
How many does he have? I've been driving nearly 25 years (and I'm exhausted - boom boom!) and I have never felt the need to get out of the car to confront anyone, and only once has someone done it to me (I just drove around him - he hadn't really thought it through).

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
How many does he have? I've been driving nearly 25 years (and I'm exhausted - boom boom!) and I have never felt the need to get out of the car to confront anyone, and only once has someone done it to me (I just drove around him - he hadn't really thought it through).
Well, he's told me about 4 of them, some recent, some not so recent. In two of them, he ignored abuse only for the abuser to U turn and chase after him. Fair enough he pulled over if the blokes were chasing him. The other two times I would have to ask. Bit of a temper on him but he is getting it under control which is nice to see.

There is a bridge across the creek at Haslar that was on my commute. It has cycle anes on both sides, but quite often due to light changes, bikes are still crossing

It is not wide enough for bikes in both lanes and a car, so taking primary on the up side, and then moving across to the side if clear is the safest position

3420801_b678fce9.jpg

One morning on the way across, had a driver beeping and shouting behind me, so stopped, checked panniers, and asked politely what the problem was.

At this point he is shouting about being in his way.

Having delayed sufficiently the lights have now changed and there is a bus and several cars coming up the other side.

Dismount, and move on to pavement, and watch as he has to reverse al the way back to allow these vehicles to pass him.....

Top Bottom