That new bike itch….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenTHP

Howdy all,

Long term lurker here, hope you’re all well.

I wasent sure if this was the correct sub forum to put this in but I’m due to take part in the RAB in September on a charity place, excited (and slightly scared) is an understatement and I need some advice, if that’s alright.

I currently have a Fuji Gran Fondo Classico 1.3 2017 Model and it’s served me well, lots of good memories. Some great long rides, I’ve done London to Paris, due to do London To Amsterdam in June.

But the RAB is a whole different ball game and I’m not sure if it’s up to the challenge.

Ideally I’d like to upgrade what I have but I know it’s not always that simple and I’m not one for tinkering. I’m used to break pads but I know disks are best. I could sell my bike to part fund a new one. I reckon I could get around £600 and I’d have to finance the rest depending on cost of a new bike but I wouldn’t know where to look now.

I haven’t kept up with current bike trends so I’m unsure what I should be looking at. I’ve had my eye on a Ribble - https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-e ... l-rival22/ but I’ve read some grumbling about ribble lately.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

The specs of my bike are:

FRAME: C5 high-modulus carbon, integrated head tube w/ 1 1/2" lower, oversized PIIS BB86 shell, double water bottle mounts, oversized ETC chainstays w/ replaceable hanger

FORK: FC-440 carbon w/ tapered carbon steerer & alloy dropout

CRANKSET: Oval Concepts 300, forged 6066 arms, Praxis rings, 50/34T

BOTTOM BRACKET: Press fit BB86

FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105, braze-on mount

REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105, 11-speed

SHIFTERS: Shimano 105, STI, 11-speed

CASSETTE: Shimano 105, 11-28T, 11-speed

CHAIN: KMC X11, 11-speed w/ MissingLink

WHEELSET: Vera Corsa DPM27, double wall, 24/28h, Formula road hubs

TIRES: Vittoria Zaffiro, 700 x 25c, 26tpi

BRAKESET: R540 forged-alloy dual pivot w/ cartridge pads

BRAKE LEVERS: Shimano 105, STI, 11-speed

HANDLEBAR: Oval Concepts 300S Shallow Drop, 6061 alloy, 31.8mm clamp, 133mm compact drop

STEM: Oval Concepts 313, 3D-forged 6061 stem body, +/-7°

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Never really had that itch so maybe not the best person to advise.
What do you think the proposed bike will give you over your existing apart from discs? Worth having but worth getting a new bike for?
Upgrading the tyres would give you an improvement. Cheap and easy.
if you’re set on it go ahead you won’t get much opposition from most on here :smile:

Forgive me for asking but what is The RAB?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the RAB? What makes it so different from another long ride that you've already done? I'd personally stick with a bike that I know I am comfortable on, maybe look to change the gearing if this RAB is very hilly for example and make sure I have good brake pads, good rims etc. Go from the 11-28 to an 11-32 (you may need a new rear mech) and get some better tyres if it's a fast road ride (eg GPS 5000)
Discs aren't best, they might just be better if the weather is very wet or the surfaces are very mucky. On a dry day, rim brakes with decent pads on sound rims are more than adequate. People managed fine before disks on road bikes :smile: It shouldn't be vile weather in September (depending where it is of course)

However if you want a new bike, go for it (assuming you can get it in the spec and size needed)...but if having to take finance, make sure it's insured for replacement if nicked or crashed so you're not paying for a bike that you can't use

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
from what i can see main difference is the ribble is hydro disc vs calipers sram 11 speed or 105 11 speed,
not read anything against ribble apart from the same issues for the bike industry as a whole regarding supply chain?

RAB appears to be a nine day, fully supported LEJOG. https://www.rideacrossbritain.com/

I can't see any reason at all why the existing bike wouldn't be entirely fine, assuming that everything is working well and not worn out. That's especially true given the 'fully supported' aspect. So check everything for wear and replace things like brake pads, chain, and cassette if at all suspect. That said, I'd definitely want 28mm tyres and an 11-34 cassette (or 11-32 if the derailleur won't support 11-34).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
RAB appears to be a nine day, fully supported LEJOG. https://www.rideacrossbritain.com/

I can't see any reason at all why the existing bike wouldn't be entirely fine, assuming that everything is working well and not worn out. That's especially true given the 'fully supported' aspect. So check everything for wear and replace things like brake pads, chain, and cassette if at all suspect. That said, I'd definitely want 28mm tyres and an 11-34 cassette (or 11-32 if the derailleur won't support 11-34).
agree no reason why the old bike cant do it, i regularly do long rides on a 10 year old bike and im sure others on here do rides on a lot older bikes.
of course if you can afford it then n plus one

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
There was a post a few weeks ago somewhere about someone doing the same thing but he was doing it solo and using his dad's 1980's Dawes Galaxy in memory of his dad .

So no reason to buy a new bike just make sure that the one you already have is mechanically sound

T4tomo

Guru
I currently have a Fuji Gran Fondo Classico 1.3 2017 Model and it’s served me well, lots of good memories. Some great long rides, I’ve done London to Paris, due to do London To Amsterdam in June.

But the RAB is a whole different ball game and I’m not sure if it’s up to the challenge.
It really isn't its just a longer version of what you have done

Ideally I’d like to upgrade what I have but I know it’s not always that simple and I’m not one for tinkering. I’m used to break pads but I know disks are best. On a September road ride the is no discernible difference in breaking performance, and rim breaks will be easier to sort out in the unlikely event of an issue. two different systems with pro's and con's neither is better / worse

I could sell my bike to part fund a new one. I reckon I could get around £600 and I’d have to finance the rest depending on cost of a new bike but I wouldn’t know where to look now.
sell a bike? no - N+1 is the way to go.

I haven’t kept up with current bike trends so I’m unsure what I should be looking at. I’ve had my eye on a Ribble - https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-e ... l-rival22/ but I’ve read some grumbling about ribble lately.
availability of stock apart, that is just another carbon endurance road bike
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
see comments above...^^^

Buy a new bike if you want one, but your Fuji is an ideal bike for a supported multi day ride. If you have the cash to splash the why not get a gravel bike or something a bit different to the one you have? if you dont have the cash t splash, stick with your tried and trusted and presumably comfy bike.

Make sure you have checked or renewed chain, cassette, tyres, brake blocks & inner cables and have a super time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BenTHP

BenTHP

Forgive me, yes the RAB is the supported Ride Across Britain. Thanks for all your responses.

Nice bike. Can it take full mudguards ? If you're doing day after day you want to be comfortable and as dry as possible
I've never actually tried attaching mudguards tbh, another thing I need to think about.

see comments above...^^^

Buy a new bike if you want one, but your Fuji is an ideal bike for a supported multi day ride. If you have the cash to splash the why not get a gravel bike or something a bit different to the one you have? if you dont have the cash t splash, stick with your tried and trusted and presumably comfy bike.

Make sure you have checked or renewed chain, cassette, tyres, brake blocks & inner cables and have a super time.

Thanks for your comments, I think this going to be the way to go :smile:.

Top Bottom