That speedbump moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Coming quite fast down the hill, overtaking a bus and concentrating on side turnings ahead, I forgot about the speedbump. Always a bit of a shocker on a fixie. :rolleyes:^_^

I love my fixie even if it was a crazy buy as a middle aged unfit guy in a hilly city. Nearly came off the day I bought it when I "eased off" for a right turn into the Strand in central London. Fine the rest of the way back to Ealing where I'd parked my car till a hubris and nemesis moment where I rashly attempted a track stand. Passers and motorists were genuinely concerned rather than pissing themselves laughing as I deserved. Anyhow no issue since in the 15000 miles commuting

simongt

Guru
Speedbumps focus the mind, if you react quickly enough - !:laugh:
But it's more fun seeing some jerk in a very low slung sporty car not registering the bump 'til it's too late - ! :rofl:

silva

Über Member
short turns on a fixie is a pedal hit ground risk too.
some years ago a car cut me off in city, forced me too close to a high 20 cm sidewalk. The pedal lifted bike and me onto it.
especially where the road is not level, which is somethings hard to recognize.
fixie riding requires to keep in mind a few things, all the time. Easy to forget when you follow a while a freewheeled bike that also goes your path.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is what I was saying in another thread a couple of days ago. I would love to try fixed on perfectly surfaced, flattish roads with light traffic. Potholes, speedbumps, lunatic drivers, steep hills... nah!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What sort of nutter would do that! :whistle:
I have been mostly riding offroad on my coaster hub wheel now I'm in the (mostly) flattish land of Cheshire
This sort...
I did a few forum rides with @Pennine-Paul. On all but one he rode fixed (he hated the time he rode a geared bike and swore that he wouldn't do it again...). He got up even quite steep Yorkshire/Lancashire hills on fixed without complaining but I remember him suddenly groaning when he spotted a sign on one ride. I said not to worry - it was 13% downhill; he pointed out that I had never descended a steep hill on fixed...! :laugh:

Stansfield Brow.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
I regularly encounter one that is between two side roads set close to I each other the second being a mini roundabout; it can be interesting balancing over the hump whilst indicating a turn.

Mike_P

Guru
Some highway clown put a steeply graded speed bump on a bend on a hill; always hit the brake even more than normal approaching it when a car was coming the other way as their was no certainty the car would land still on its side of the carriageway.

Top Bottom