That was close...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adds21

Rider of bikes
Wow!

This morning, I was almost hit by... a kestrel! What an incredible sight. He flew right across my path, probably missing me by about 2 feet, and then processed to fly alongside me for what felt like a mile, but was probably 10 feet or so. What a way to start the day.

I've had owls fly alongside me a couple of times, but that's always been at dusk (not that it's not still an incredible sight), but that's the first time I've seen a kestrel so close.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
That must have been amazing. I've also had the owl thing a couple of times which was brilliant.

That sounds really cool :smile:; I've had a few fly close but I've never had one fly alongside me.

This is about the closest I've got to a bird of prey in the wild, the camera doesn't do it justice it was actually more imppressive than that and the cam doesnt catch when it double back almost directly above my head.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Got stuck at the level crossing I use on my commute. Had the pleasure of watching a Heron and a Kingfisher in the river very close to where I was sitting...Sun was shining...put a big smile on my face

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've had a pigeon do the same...perhaps birds get some enjoyment from this (like dolphins on the bow of a boat).

or perhaps they enjoy a good scalp just like the rest of us. :smile:

I've had owls alongside before, the things that get closest though are bats - often right in front of my face. They're so quick though that they've gone before I have time to react.

We get various birds down here, but mostly buzzards but they tend to fly away sooner than not. Still nice to watch of course, got myself a monocular to carry with me :laugh:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xIhQOlb-8
Just after 3 minutes, is the best i've had so far, sadly no helmet mount at the time.

Helly79

adds21 said:
Wow!

This morning, I was almost hit by... a kestrel! What an incredible sight. He flew right across my path, probably missing me by about 2 feet, and then processed to fly alongside me for what felt like a mile, but was probably 10 feet or so. What a way to start the day.

I've had owls fly alongside me a couple of times, but that's always been at dusk (not that it's not still an incredible sight), but that's the first time I've seen a kestrel so close.

What lovely sight, I guess they love the thermals you give off

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've had buzzards fly with me. maybe you are right, maybe it is a "dolphin" thing. once when i was in my car waiting in a queue, a kestrel flew down and grabbed a mouse and then flew up straight across my windscreen. awesome!

and talking of awesome, i'm going for my first canoe lesson on wednesday, because one day i want to be somewhere like this when something like this happens...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1qY1-dZpY8

51 seconds is the awesome bit.

Top Bottom