That was pleasant...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
.. the near continuous drizzle on the way home.
Saw quite a few people in waterproofs that must have been overheating, i was still in my ss jersey and shorts and was on the verge of needing to undo the zip.

Trumpettom001

I happened to be on a friday eve' ride - It was a little unplesant I'll concede... Shame really - I'd like to have gotten the camera out, but it's still new and precious....

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Tiny, tiny bit of rain here this morning. Made me laugh as the weather girl on the telly said "..and right now in Southampton its sunny." It was nothing of the sort. :ohmy:

Light rain during the summer is very refreshing.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I wasn't overly bothered about the rain although not having slippy roads would have made dodging the half crazed, totally blind and ignorant football loons as they played must get past cyclist repeatedly on the way home. I was expecting a bit of poor driving but this evenings commute actually succeeded in making me cry when I got home. I've had plenty of close passes and dumb cut ups during my riding but never a months worth in one journey. :ohmy:

brokenbetty

Über Member
No rain for me - I'm off work.

But I got drenched on the way in last week and had a colleague taking the p. I couldn't get him to believe I enjoy cycling the rain.

A big part of why I enjoy commuting by bike is being in the weather instead of stuck in a train. I love the way the weather really changes the same journey, and I like not being beaten by it when it's bad.

Not wind though, wind sucks.

potsy

Rambler
HaloJ said:
I wasn't overly bothered about the rain although not having slippy roads would have made dodging the half crazed, totally blind and ignorant football loons as they played must get past cyclist repeatedly on the way home. I was expecting a bit of poor driving but this evenings commute actually succeeded in making me cry when I got home. I've had plenty of close passes and dumb cut ups during my riding but never a months worth in one journey. :ohmy:
Aww hug for Haloj,no excuse for poor driving just cause there's a football game on:sad:
Also got wet on way home,at least i got chance to try out my Montane featherlight jacket which is fine for summer/Autumn showers.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
gaz said:
Saw quite a few people in waterproofs that must have been overheating, i was still in my ss jersey and shorts and was on the verge of needing to undo the zip.

Totally! This kind of rain is lovely - you stay dry and just the right temp, not too hot, not too cold.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I'm passing on going out today :smile: it's not the light rain at the moment (love cycling in the rain) it's the average 18 MPH winds gusting to 40 MPH and the chill factor involved with them thats put me off

So feet up / coffee / TV remote for me today :tongue:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Riding in the summer rain is invigorating. Winter rain isn't bad either. I only commute in cycle-specific clothes so my perception may be different if I commuted in regular clothes.

Wind on the other hand...

Norm

NormanD said:
I'm passing on going out today :smile: it's not the light rain at the moment (love cycling in the rain) it's the average 18 MPH winds gusting to 40 MPH and the chill factor involved with them thats put me off

So feet up / coffee / TV remote for me today :tongue:
I set off for my short loop (10 miles, 2/3 of it off road) at 9 this morning in t shirt and shorts and very quickly felt cold. I still don't feel warm and I've been back an hour now.

The wind certainly was chilly, most everyone else out there were in long tops and trousers with fleece and windproof also in evidence.

rh100

I finished early yesterday, so was at home just seeing the rain through the window, it's great when you don't have to go anywhere when it's raining :tongue: Although if I get caught in a light shower it doesn't bother me unless I'm on the way into work.

I think I should go out for a spin now, it's bright out there but there is dark clouds looming and it looks a bit windy, but I might chance it.

gaz said:

Trousers = hours to dry + still have to deal with sweat (if any) + incuding possibly getting yukky hands changing out of dirty clothes.

Arms/Legs = minutes to wipe off and dry

No work for me for 2 weeks anyway, so bring on the rain (so it runs out for when I go back) :tongue:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
HaloJ said:
I wasn't overly bothered about the rain although not having slippy roads would have made dodging the half crazed, totally blind and ignorant football loons as they played must get past cyclist repeatedly on the way home. I was expecting a bit of poor driving but this evenings commute actually succeeded in making me cry when I got home. I've had plenty of close passes and dumb cut ups during my riding but never a months worth in one journey. ;)

Nearly went for a ride lastnight but remembered that there will be a bunch of planks trying to make it in time for the kick off. People drive like t*ssers when they want to see the start or are late for it from my experience.

I sympathise!

Matthames

Über Member
Riding in the rain is quite pleasant I find, the only thing I don't like about it is not being able to see anything.

I do find that if I put a bit of effort into riding my body heat tends to counter the getting cold bit. The only drawback is that you go through your energy reserves much more quickly.

Top Bottom