That was quite a long charity ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve completed a charity ride for a local charity this weekend, from Huddersfield to Southampton over 3 days.

Day 1 Huddersfield to Leicester

https://www.relive.cc/view/2356455675

Day 2 Leicester to Reading.

https://www.relive.cc/view/2359145322

Day 3 ( Today ) Reading to Southampton

https://www.relive.cc/view/2361459558

lots of miles, and some stunning scenery ( and apocalyptic weather at times ).

FF24843F-D2FE-4DEF-B284-4A9E8AE5ADFC.jpeg

This is Wayne Bridge ( he’s just won celebrity SAS are you mental or something) and used to play for Southampton FC. The guy next to him is James Beattie ( a legendary Saints striker ) they joined us for the ride down from Reading.

19001004-5C24-41CF-9EDA-B23AA468B191.jpeg

This is Franny Benali. He’s a Saints legend, and has just raised over 1 million quid for Cancer research, by attempting 7 iron man Triathlons in 7 days. That’s 2.4 miles swimming, 112 miles on a bike, and running a Marathon ( a squeal over 26 miles ) 7 times back to back, in a week. He nearly died on day 4, so he was pulled out by his team, but came back on day 7 to finish in Southampton.:notworthy:

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Fantastic riding !

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Fantastic riding !
I’ve done 3 of these rides in the last 3 years. 2017 was Stoke City’s Bet 365 stadium to St. Mary’s stadium in Southampton. 2018 was Manchester City’s Etihad stadium to St. Mary’s, and this year was Huddersfield Town’s John Smith’s stadium to St. Mary’s. This year’s was a whole ‘nother level of challenging, but ultimately it felt like an achievement to the riders, and they (mostly) seemed to be up for another go next year. I just hope we don’t draw Newcastle for the last home game of the season:laugh:.

nonowt

Über Member
Good stuff!

Interesting Huddersfield Town also do a yearly charity ride - Pedal for Pounds. The last one was from cycling to the last home game from Antwerp (over 3 or 4 days, I think). I have a mind to join one year...

johnblack

Über Member
Congratulations, some serious miles. How are the legs?

A ride started today from Northampton to Exeter in time for Saints last game of the season on Saturday, Bugbrooke Rugby Club are doing it over 3 days and it's being supported by both Northampton and Exeter Rugby Clubs.

Me and a couple of mates are doing the whole thing in one go on Friday, so that will be a nice 200 mile day.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Congratulations, some serious miles. How are the legs?

A ride started today from Northampton to Exeter in time for Saints last game of the season on Saturday, Bugbrooke Rugby Club are doing it over 3 days and it's being supported by both Northampton and Exeter Rugby Clubs.

Me and a couple of mates are doing the whole thing in one go on Friday, so that will be a nice 200 mile day.
It was a fair old hike. We started a trend I think. Last year, we rode from the Etihad to St.Mary’s. This year, Completely by fluke, about 30 miles from Leicester, we happened across a bunch of riders who were riding from the Etihad to the Amex, for the City vs Brighton match. I wanted to do Huddersfield to Southampton in 2 days, but no one else was keen. The elevation on days one and two, convinced me that they probably had a point:laugh:. I did also discover an odd quirk of my Garmin 1030 though. If you’re surrounded by bikes with lots of sensors on them, the H.U. can’t cope, and won’t report the data on screen. I did get data on day one though. My power was in the 700s on a couple of the bigger climbs. I kind of wish I didn’t know that now :eek::laugh:

johnblack

Über Member
It was a fair old hike. We started a trend I think. Last year, we rode from the Etihad to St.Mary’s. This year, Completely by fluke, about 30 miles from Leicester, we happened across a bunch of riders who were riding from the Etihad to the Amex, for the City vs Brighton match. I wanted to do Huddersfield to Southampton in 2 days, but no one else was keen. The elevation on days one and two, convinced me that they probably had a point:laugh:. I did also discover an odd quirk of my Garmin 1030 though. If you’re surrounded by bikes with lots of sensors on them, the H.U. can’t cope, and won’t report the data on screen. I did get data on day one though. My power was in the 700s on a couple of the bigger climbs. I kind of wish I didn’t know that now :eek::laugh:
Holding back to conserve energy is one of the hardest parts of long distance rides, I know first thing tomorrow I'll want to push, but would pay for it later in the day, it's a fine balance, I've certainly not mastered yet.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Top effort :okay:
Never done one of these organised rides, but have done my own 'football' related tours. Last one was season before last, we (Bradford City) had a midweek game at Oxford during my weeks leave, so I got the train down there & cycled back home over 2.5 days, 220 miles from Oxford to East Yorkshire. IIRC the cycling was better than the football :laugh:

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Top effort :okay:
Never done one of these organised rides, but have done my own 'football' related tours. Last one was season before last, we (Bradford City) had a midweek game at Oxford during my weeks leave, so I got the train down there & cycled back home over 2.5 days, 220 miles from Oxford to East Yorkshire. IIRC the cycling was better than the football :laugh:
The match we rode back for was dire, the ride was great fun though ( for the most part ).

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Holding back to conserve energy is one of the hardest parts of long distance rides, I know first thing tomorrow I'll want to push, but would pay for it later in the day, it's a fine balance, I've certainly not mastered yet.
I find it much easier to pace myself when I haven’t got a bunch of ‘smash everything’ clubby types requiring pegging back constantly. I use power meters on my bike, which helps, because I have read out with actual numbers to tell me what my output is, and in which of my Power zones I’m in. I try to stay in Z2 for as much of the time as I can, and eat and drink as sensibly as possible. I’ve been doing these sorts of endurance rides for many years, and I still get it wrong occasionally.

Last edited:
Top Bottom