That'll teach me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
After a prolonged bout of pie eating and school dinner sampling wile neglecting cycling activities, the dawning realisation that the start of a 1200 mile French cycle camping tour was three weeks away got me out on a bike.

I chose to ride the Decathlon hybrid that I purchased in Orleans to replace the broken Dawes Galaxy.

I chose to ride a DIY 100km Audax - the first one in three months.

I chose to ride it at a minimum average speed of 15km/hr instead of the permitted 10km/hr

I got round in under six hours despite so strong headwinds but I'm now paying the price.

I'm now tired and aching.

Equally, I'm reassured that I'm up to the tour - I'll be pedalling at a much gentler pace.

Noodley

Very good :tongue:

Hope the tour goes well.

As an after-thought: why did you ride a 100km DIY rather than just go out on your bike for 100km? never thought about doing a 100km DIY but there might be something in it....probably a few excuses to stop and eat cake? :biggrin:

lazyfatgit

Have fun on the tour.

Im halfway into a 3 week pie munching, beer scoffing break. As my belt has suddenly began to shrink i'm wondering how I'll do when I get back on the bike.

Your tale offers a glimmer of hope!

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Noodley said:
Very good :tongue:

Hope the tour goes well.

As an after-thought: why did you ride a 100km DIY rather than just go out on your bike for 100km? never thought about doing a 100km DIY but there might be something in it....probably a few excuses to stop and eat cake? :biggrin:

More accurately it was a Mesh ride. It takes away a lot of the planning and as I have a handful of unused Mesh Brevet cards I can email the details of the route and the entry form before I set off on the ride.

Besides, once I get 10 x 100km Audax rides in I qualify for a 1000km award. I like badges and certificates :blush:

As for cake eating opportunities yes there were some at Pocklington, Stamford Bridge and York but I was very restrained - honest.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

lazyfatgit said:
Have fun on the tour.

Im halfway into a 3 week pie munching, beer scoffing break. As my belt has suddenly began to shrink i'm wondering how I'll do when I get back on the bike.

Your tale offers a glimmer of hope!

You're a lightweight! :tongue:

I've tipped the scales at 23.5 stones.

I'm sure that you'll do fine with a three week break.

I was only 30 minutes slower on the 100km circuit that I rode today. I was pleasantly surprised.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
ComedyPilot said:
I did 800 miles in just over a week fully loaded, with no real training (weight wise) for a year, and with only 500 miles in my legs this year. I was fine, you will be too.

I bet you ain't getting on a bit like me. ;) You young uns can get away with stuff like that :rofl:

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

ComedyPilot said:
I did 800 miles in just over a week fully loaded, with no real training (weight wise) for a year, and with only 500 miles in my legs this year. I was fine, you will be too.

Yep. That's what I thought.

Training over. ;)

I was pleasantly surprised that, despite the blowy conditions and using a flat barred hybrid with 700c x 38 tyred wheels, that I was only 1/2 hour down on three months ago for the same route when riding a 700c x 25 tyred Dave Yates audax bike.

I ached a fair bit last night but popping a couple of Ibuprofen before going to bed sorted out the aches and pains as I slept.

I'm looking forwards to my tour now.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
vernon said:
Yep. That's what I thought.

Training over. ;)

I was pleasantly surprised that, despite the blowy conditions and using a flat barred hybrid with 700c x 38 tyred wheels, that I was only 1/2 hour down on three months ago for the same route.

I ached a fair bit last night but popping a couple of Ibuprofen before going to bed sorted out the aches and pains as I slept.

I'm looking forwards to my tour now.

Oh no - drugs in cycling again :rofl:

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

twentysix by twentyfive said:
Oh no - drugs in cycling again :ohmy:

You've not encountered 'cyclists candy' then?

I know several audax riders who routinely ingest them before and during a ride.

I draw the line at that. A post ride analgesic is fine but if riding is uncomfortable enough to warrant pain killers then perhaps one shouldn't be riding.

Top Bottom