That's why they are blue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizban

Ok I know I'm probally really slow on the uptake, but are the CSH lanes blue because Barclays sponsers the bike hire scheme and have insisted on it?

(If so thank god it wasn't Easyjet)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
No, the sponsorship happened later. They just decided to go for that colour!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Although, having that colour was probably an incentive for Barclays to choose to sponsor it (I don't mean that it was chosen in the hope that they would - if you get what I mean)

Well yes. In reality it was probably fairly constrained what colours you could have them. Green and red are already common, grey, black and white are out. So Gandalf's delux colour chart probably had quite a few crossed off!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Middle Sky Blue is the fancy name for the blue paint, but the blue colour takes to the slick and high traction surfaces differently, leading to differences in the colour along the route.

I'm pretty sure the blue was a homage to the blue cycle lanes of Copenhagen. TFL did a fact-finding mission to the Danish city a few years back when planning the CS. Portland in the USA also went for blue cycle lanes.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Because Boris lacks originality and is copying Copenhagen, sadly he hasn't fully copied the full width, segregated Copenhagen cycle lane, with advance traffic lights for cyclist, but then that would mean creating a real Cycle Super Highway, rather than just a pretend one...

joolsybools

CSHs are pointless, he'd be far better off spending that money on advanced riding lessons for Londons cyclists. 2.5 million reportedly spent on the 2 first CSHs = equivalent to approx 33,000 x 2 hour road lessons. Does anyone have an accurate figure for the number of cyclists in London? And the number of CSHs that are planned?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
CSHs are pointless, he'd be far better off spending that money on advanced riding lessons for Londons cyclists. 2.5 million reportedly spent on the 2 first CSHs = equivalent to approx 33,000 x 2 hour road lessons. Does anyone have an accurate figure for the number of cyclists in London? And the number of CSHs that are planned?

Perhaps you should read into what the cycle superhighways actually provide. It's not just a strip of paint.

Top Bottom