The 1994 TdF crash with the policeman (taking a photo?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I remember watching the Tour when a sprint finish was turned into utter carnage by a policeman standing in the finishing straight apparently taking a photo at the end of stage 1 in 1994. The riders involved were Laurent Jalabert and Wilifried Nellisen.

1624911159278.png

It looks like the policeman might have exercised his "right to be forgotten" as I can't find out much about it, so without naming the policeman, can anyone remember if ASO sued him or if he was prosecuted or faced any punishment? I don't remember anything happening, but the tour coverage in 94 was not as easy to find as it is now. Just wondering in light of all the stories about a prosecution for the fan with the cardboard sign on stage 1 this year.

1994 stage 1 footage here if you've a strong stomach

Slick

Guru
That can't be 94 surely 😳

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maybe they decided that getting flattened by a full-steam sprint was punishment enough? Even in 1990s France, I suspect the police officer might have contrived some defensive argument about not being trained or warned or whatever.

The fan this time escaped almost unscathed, I think, which might be why ASO is keen to punish them financially.

I'm only hearing snippets of the news, but I *think* the Hello Opi incident is different in that the French police are actively seeking the perp (presumably with intent to prosecute for something). ASO have stated intent to sue, but I wonder if they wouldnt be bothering if the police weren't already giving them an assist, so to speak.

Part of me hopes they do prosecute and/or sue, purely pour discourager les autres. (Even though she meant no harm, it was selfish, dangerous and negligent.)

JBGooner

Über Member
Just noticed the most incredible thing about that crash. The copper, not content with taking out the three lead riders, leaps back up again like a jack-in-a-box and knocks down two more! (1.30) :wacko:

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Just noticed the most incredible thing about that crash. The copper, not content with taking out the three lead riders, leaps back up again like a jack-in-a-box and knocks down two more! (1.30) :wacko:
Despite his (later confirmed) broken leg. Definitely a "it was nothing to do with me, I'm just stood here being a policeman like I was told" moment.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
One of my first memories of watching TDF. They should it on today's highlights.

mustang1

Guru
That guy who crashed into the policeman looked as if he was looking downwards. And with the helicopter birdseye footage, there also seems to be enough space for the cyclist to go left a little.

I am NOT saying it's his fault, just pointing out a few observations. Though in the heat of a race....

Also, that cop looked like he really slammed into the ground - you know how you slam into an iron block and the iron block has no renound at all, that was the cop. How he even got up from there is baffling.

Did you see how the 2nd cop jumped out of the way? There were also a bunch of cops just a few metres ahead so if the cyclist did not crash into the first policeman, he may have crashed into the bunch of policemen. (Of course, I cannot tell what may/not have happened).

That guy who crashed into the policeman looked as if he was looking downwards. And with the helicopter birdseye footage, there also seems to be enough space for the cyclist to go left a little.

I am NOT saying it's his fault, just pointing out a few observations. Though in the heat of a race....

Also, that cop looked like he really slammed into the ground - you know how you slam into an iron block and the iron block has no renound at all, that was the cop. How he even got up from there is baffling.

Did you see how the 2nd cop jumped out of the way? There were also a bunch of cops just a few metres ahead so if the cyclist did not crash into the first policeman, he may have crashed into the bunch of policemen. (Of course, I cannot tell what may/not have happened).
Is your day job a Defence Attorney*??

(apologies for the awful use of American terminology)

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru

You should not need to look out for obstacles in front of you when you are 200m away in a straight line from the finish of a grand tour. Especially when there are police employed to stop anyone getting in your way.

Top sprinters will peak at about 1900w in a sprint, reaching c.75km/h and averaging around 1300w. It's quite hard to steer around obstacles that shouldn't be there when you are doing that, especially when you are right next to someone else who is doing the same and also blocking your escape route.

Unfortunately in the UK, if a pedestrian deliberately walks in front of a cyclist and causes a crash, they are not deemed totally at fault in many cases.

"Robert Hazeldean collided with pedestrian Gemma Brushett as she stepped out into road while using her phone – but now he is facing a huge compensation and legal bill."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...mma-brushett-london-phone-court-a8972326.html
Both parties were found equally culpable. He apparently went for his airhorn rather than the brakes first. I presume he did this so she will respond in time. The huge compensation was because he was not insured, he did make a counterclaim and initially represented himself. A series of errors on his part. The bulk of the cost was from the pedestrian's lawyer. The lawyer's bill is shocking btw even if it is 50%.

I am still wondering why he went for the airhorn instead of braking first.

Top Bottom