The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm in and will act as self appointed monitor again and now official cheerleader
Good luck everyone
I found your outfit:okay::okay:
Cycleevents-cheerleader.jpg

gavgav

Guru
I will stick my neck out and say I'm in again @ColinJ. I am going to be very busy at work over the next 9 months, rolling out a massive clinical software system, which will involve weekend working and so I am unsure how much time I am going to get for big cycle rides, but surely I can get 1 half century in a month.

kapelmuur

Veteran
2016 will be peak cycling for me but I'm in for the metric half in 2017. I don't expect to be able to match this years points/distance total but I'm going to aim for 50 points.

One comment about the rules, I was disappointed to learn that turbo rides don't count. In my experience 50km on a VR turbo is harder mentally and physically than riding the same distance on the open road.

Any chance of a rethink?

13 rider

Guru
2016 will be peak cycling for me but I'm in for the metric half in 2017. I don't expect to be able to match this years points/distance total but I'm going to aim for 50 points.

One comment about the rules, I was disappointed to learn that turbo rides don't count. In my experience 50km on a VR turbo is harder mentally and physically than riding the same distance on the open road.

Any chance of a rethink?
While I agree that 50km is a tough ask on a turbo I believe the whole idea of the challenge is to get you out riding with all that nature can throw at you . So I like the rules as they are

Katherine

Guru

Any chance of a rethink?
Turbo rides have never been counted in any of the other distance challenges so this one is the same.
Maybe you could start a separate challenge thread for turbo riders in the Virtual Training Forum?

kapelmuur

Veteran
Turbo rides have never been counted in any of the other distance challenges so this one is the same.
Maybe you could start a separate challenge thread for turbo riders in the Virtual Training Forum?

Thanks for the suggestion, I very rarely use the turbo and have only ridden it as far as 50km once - not something I plan to repeat unless we have a spell of bad weather that lasts more than a week!

Renmurew

Veteran
I'm in for this year. Hopefully this will encourage me to get some longer rides in each month. Looking forward to the challenge!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My December 2016 surge got me up to 91 points, so I think I will go for 100 points in the half century challenge this year.

The thing is, I am doing the metric century challenge in parallel with this one so points from rides of 100+ km will be siphoned off to that one.

Just checking, hang on ... Yikes - 50 of my 91 points last year came from longer rides. That means I would have to step up from 41 points to 100 points on 50s!

Oh well, (say) 50 * 50 km and 25 * 50 miles would do it.

One+ 100 km ride, two+ 50 mile rides, and four+ 50 km rides a month is more than I normally manage; it sounds achievable but I would have to be going at it consistently through the year.

13 rider

Guru
My December 2016 surge got me up to 91 points, so I think I will go for 100 points in the half century challenge this year.

The thing is, I am doing the metric century challenge in parallel with this one so points from rides of 100+ km will be siphoned off to that one.

Just checking, hang on ... Yikes - 50 of my 91 points last year came from longer rides. That means I would have to step up from 41 points to 100 points on 50s!

Oh well, (say) 50 * 50 km and 25 * 50 miles would do it.

One+ 100 km ride, two+ 50 mile rides, and four+ 50 km rides a month is more than I normally manage; it sounds achievable but I would have to be going at it consistently through the year.
I did both 50 and 100km this year managed 86 points in the half century .That's a tough target to pass the 100 points but doable as I could only ride at weekends . Good luck @ColinJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom