The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Was planning to get another metric half in this morning, but the early mist and rain that was forecast to clear by 9am lingered on until lunchtime and we had other stuff planned then, so that was more good intentions scuppered by the realities of life. My cycling today has consisted of a whole half hour, indoors...:rolleyes:

Tomorrow does look promising though apart from the sub-zero temperatures predicted until mid morning, so I'll see about getting a ride in then. It looks unlikely that I'll have time for anything longer than a metric half though, although it would have been nice to get an imperial half in this month...

Katherine

Guru
Finally got out today. The first week of January, I was not bike fit enough for a 50km, the second week the winds were interesting and last week my knees were not happy. I thought today, it's do or die as, from tomorrow, the high winds are back. 50km off road is much harder work than 50km on road. It was really muddy on the trail and clay mud is just horrible. I'm pleased that I've got the ride done. I was determined to start the challenge again.
We are moving home on the St Patrick's Day weekend, to the flatlands so, I am hoping, that the summer will be so much better for riding that last year.

Good luck with your move. Maybe you can get back to Cornwall for a holiday.

Katherine

Guru
My milage is going to be considerably lower this year, purely due to time constraints and other commitments. I'll be glad to complete the basic challenge. Last year I did a metric century in a few of the months and if I had the chance this month I would have liked to have had the chance to do that as a monthly challenge. Maybe next year..

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Got my Jan 50 miler in today I set myself the ambitious target of doing both a 50km and 50m in this thread and both the century challenges metric and imperial so busy riding year ahead .My points for this challenge will definitely be lower than previous years

Are you planning on making that 4 different qualifying rides, 1 for each challenge?

Going by the riding you do I reckon so.

Salty seadog

Yes no cross posting all seperate rides . Otherwise anyone who completes the Imperial century challenge would complete all the other challenges . Managed a 50km ,50m and 100km last year so just adding a 100m each month:eek:

Good work, I aim up my mileage this year. Last year was around 25-35 mile rides with the odd 50, this year I want to get to 35-50+ miles regularly and would like to get an imperial century in. I guess it's a mental block to overcome and the first one will hopefully prove it's doable and more will follow.

I've come to accept going up hills is part of the deal and just get on with them although I am far from actively seeking them out like some wierdo's :wacko:

13 rider

Guru
Good work, I aim up my mileage this year. Last year was around 25-35 mile rides with the odd 50, this year I want to get to 35-50+ miles regularly and would like to get an imperial century in. I guess it's a mental block to overcome and the first one will hopefully prove it's doable and more will follow.

I've come to accept going up hills is part of the deal and just get on with them although I am far from actively seeking them out like some wierdo's :wacko:
I started riding in Sept 2014 and this thread started Jan 2015 and is responsible for upping my milage . Just keep riding and the distances will come . Yes getting to a distance say 100km when you've not done it seems impossible but it's not . Just slow down a bit and it's completely doable . Good luck but be warned you could end up chasing ever increasing distances it contagious

Salty seadog

I started riding in Sept 2014 and this thread started Jan 2015 and is responsible for upping my milage . Just keep riding and the distances will come . Yes getting to a distance say 100km when you've not done it seems impossible but it's not . Just slow down a bit and it's completely doable . Good luck but be warned you could end up chasing ever increasing distances it contagious

I've done a metric century, just got to bag an imperial one now.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Was planning to get another metric half in this morning, but the early mist and rain that was forecast to clear by 9am lingered on until lunchtime and we had other stuff planned then, so that was more good intentions scuppered by the realities of life. My cycling today has consisted of a whole half hour, indoors...:rolleyes:
Tomorrow does look promising though apart from the sub-zero temperatures predicted until mid morning, so I'll see about getting a ride in then. It looks unlikely that I'll have time for anything longer than a metric half though, although it would have been nice to get an imperial half in this month...

Sadly no joy again this morning - a hard frost, with a walk for a paper confirming it is slippery underfoot and the Met Office 'warning of ice' in place until noon, so plans for a morning ride abandoned :sad:
With other plans for later in the day, I've been limited to an hour on the indoor bike.
This time last year I'd already got 7 points in the bag (including two imperial halves), so I'm feeling a bit fed up at my current total of just two points, each for a metric half.
Fingers crossed that February will be a bit more amenable with the weather. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom