The 2021 'Bah Humbug' Christmas thread.. 🎅

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Just finished my minimalist effort on the Xmas shopping. Internet is brilliant for that. But was wondering at what "ancient" age am I excused from giving out gifts at this time of year? We didn't expect my ageing mother to do owt as she got older. None of my lot want or need stuff, it's just one of these social constructs. These days if a "need" arises then a purchase may solve the problem (not all problems require the throwing of money) at the time.
My only wish at this time of year is to see close family who are generally a bit further flung.

Brandane

Legendary Member
But was wondering at what "ancient" age am I excused from giving out gifts at this time of year?

out of interest where were these places where it was "forbidden" knitty, and "forbidden" how exactly?
Still like that in those places?
Stress that I'm not getting at you.
When I first went to Saudi Arabia in 1974, things were a little more lenient; we could swap Christmas cards etc at work and it was possible to find exorbitantly-expensive Xmas trees (called 'winter decorative trees) in a few shops for a few years. Then even that small 'allowance' was stamped out and if you came back into the country with a packet of Xmas cards in your luggage, they were - if they were found - likely to be confiscated, although you didn't get into actual trouble as you did if you were discovered trying to bring alcohol - or the obvious ingredients/tools for brewing/distilling it - into the country. Or bacon ...
And a good proportion of Christmas cards sent to you never came, especially if it was obviously not an air-letter. And parcels were opened as a routine so if someone sent you an Xmas card along with the present, especially ones with religious images of the nativity - the card and sometimes the entire present would disappear into the maw of the official censor. The first couple of years we were there, the am-op society I belonged to were allowed to put on a production in the Intercon hotel's stage and we even had a carol concert, although certain words of many of the carols were altered to fit in with the susceptibilities of the particular censor who would - we hoped- approve it.

By about 1978 or so, Christmas was strictly abolished other than private celebrations and we couldn't (officially) even bring Xmas cards into work to give them to someone, nor decorate the exterior of our homes on the hospital compound. What was funny, and ironic, was that very often our patients - Saudi themselves, and often not at all 'westernised' - would look around cautiously then say quietly 'Are you going back to your family for your Eid?' and ask us which exact day it was on, and bring sweeties in for us ... regardless of instructions from TPTB!

bloody religions.
the circle turns
same old junk.
We never let on as to who had brought the box of sweeties or the tray of baklava in for us, other than to say vaguely, oh a patient dropped it off for us, they brought us some last week too. We had spies in the hospital. Or at least, people we suspected of - let us call it - reporting back to the government. None of those who we were aware of were half as clever as they seemed to think they were - any who were any use weren't interested in trying to find out who'd brought in sweeties, they had more important things to dig out like was anyone running a home church or leading bible study in hospital accomodation ... yes some eejits got deported or worse for that sort of thing. But they were too obvious about it.

One of the most interesting - and frankly delicious - cake type things I have ever eaten, especially given that I don't like mincemeat, was what I can only call a 'Christmas Baklava', it had a golden-syrup/toffee flavoured soaked top of baklava type pastry, and underneath it was a squidgy, juicy, fruity equally-moist mincemeat-like substance, but actually minced finely (I dislike mincemeat and dried vine fruits mainly because of the texture). If you can imagine good quality (but alcohol-free) jarred mincemeat, mixed with fresh orange juice, further minced and simmered down to almost a paste --- I think it had orange-flower water in it, and pomegranates too, as well as the dried fruits, as there was a sharpness underlying all the sweetness. The lady who brought it in lived in a tiny town, where there was a seasonal lake, some hours south of Riyadh and was an avid radio listener. She said she'd got the recipe from an Egyptian (or maybe Jordanian?) radio cookery programme.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
It looks like Cookie is as happy about Christmas as I am :laugh:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
After reading @KnittyNorah ’s stories about Saudi Arabia I think we should all consider ourselves very fortunate to have the freedom to be able to celebrate Christmas or any other festival regardless of our religious persuasion. So with that thought in mind I’m going to try and change my following festive attitude:
220EA126-9772-45A6-B6C6-F9CEB1088195.jpeg

tyred

Legendary Member
I've always sent a card and cash to my niece and nephew but considering the ungrateful little shoots can't be bothered to say thank you and I only ever hear from my sister when she demands immediate help with something, I wonder why I bother.

After reading @KnittyNorah ’s stories about Saudi Arabia I think we should all consider ourselves very fortunate to have the freedom to be able to celebrate Christmas or any other festival regardless of our religious persuasion. So with that thought in mind I’m going to try and change my following festive attitude:
View attachment 620356
Just need to say that despite the - ahem - issues, I absolutely loved the years I spent in Saudi Arabia in the 1970s.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Following on but off thread re KittyNorah's posts.
Son worked in Kuwait for a couple of years and on one occasion going back his flight to Heathrow was delayed and he missed his onward direct connection so had to divert to another flight via Saudi.
In his luggage were beer making requisites and a few packs of bacon. Fortunately he did not get stopped at customs on arrival in Saudi.:whistle:

Following on but off thread re KittyNorah's posts.
Son worked in Kuwait for a couple of years and on one occasion going back his flight to Heathrow was delayed and he missed his onward direct connection so had to divert to another flight via Saudi.
In his luggage were beer making requisites and a few packs of bacon. Fortunately he did not get stopped at customs on arrival in Saudi.:whistle:
I used to pack my bacon underneath frilly underwear and bras which the customs people used to look at with a measure of either disgust and not touch, or pick up delicately between finger and thumb and stare at while (almost) licking their lips then dropping it like a hot potato. I was once stopped with a very large tin of malt extract which I'd had the sense to remove the label from, and when the (younger and more realistic) customs officer asked me what it was, I was perfectly open about it being malt extract - and full of vitamin B so my mother had made me promise to take a spoonful every day and it was simply horrible, but what could you do when your mother insisted you take it? He smiled, chalked my cases as 'passed' and said that ever since he'd moved to Riyadh with his job, his mother back in Jeddah sent him food parcels, it was embarrassing, mothers eh the whole world over, they're just the same ...

Top Bottom