The AA are parasites..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Aren’t they simply a broker?
Yes. The actual insurance will be administered by AXA or Aviva.
Same with any policy from M&S, John Lewis etc. They just brand the policy And maybe tweak the policy wording a bit, but the actual policy management will be done by a mega insurance company.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes. The actual insurance will be administered by AXA or Aviva.
Same with any policy from M&S, John Lewis etc. They just brand the policy And maybe tweak the policy wording a bit, but the actual policy management will be done by a mega insurance company.
So the rant should also be against the insurers as they’ll also impose presumably terms on the AA who do the leg work to administer policy :unsure:

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed.. my last provider allowed this and it was very much appreciated. Unfortunately though as usual their renewal quote was less than competitive (another industry blag) and as such I ended up with this bunch of idiots..
Cheapest clearly not always best... :unsure:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cheapest clearly not always best... :unsure:
Absolutely; however for me insurance is little more than a legal box-ticking exercise given how little I use it (having spent maybe £6k on insurance over 20yrs and made one windscreen claim) and how de-incentivised claiming is, I see little reason to pay more than the absolute minimum I can get away with to remain legal.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My John Lewis insurance allows me to change (most) details free if I do it myself, online.
If I call them, there can be a charge depending on what I have to change.

I'm not sure if the nice, polite and helpful lady I spoke to recently was a minimum wage chimp, or not, so I can't add anything to that particular debate.

lane

Veteran
I got really pissed off with this sort of thing. Companies aiming to be cheapest on the comparison sites but as you very correctly say then "F you in the A at the merest hint of an opportunity." In particular I take my car to be serviced and get a courtesy car that is free but I have to insure because my insurance company deem it is not covered by my third part cover to drive any vehicle. Then they really F me by charging a policy amendment fee on top. That was Churchill by the way. Oh and by the way if it takes an extra day we will charge you an additional amendment fee unless you cough up insurance for two days up front when you don't know if you will need it. So I changed to NFU, who may well not be the cheapest headline rate but don't charge for loads of extras such as policy amendment so can actually work out cheaper in the long run. Even if they don't work out cheaper at least I won't feel I have been F up the a A which is probably worth paying something for.

screenman

Legendary Member
£6 a week to not have to worry abou the cost of an accident seems good value to me, peace of mind must have a price. As for the £25 it is not just the persons wages that need paying, rent, rates, insurance, advertising etc etc.

screenman

Legendary Member
I got really pissed off with this sort of thing. Companies aiming to be cheapest on the comparison sites but as you very correctly say then "F you in the A at the merest hint of an opportunity." In particular I take my car to be serviced and get a courtesy car that is free but I have to insure because my insurance company deem it is not covered by my third part cover to drive any vehicle. Then they really F me by charging a policy amendment fee on top. That was Churchill by the way. Oh and by the way if it takes an extra day we will charge you an additional amendment fee unless you cough up insurance for two days up front when you don't know if you will need it. So I changed to NFU, who may well not be the cheapest headline rate but don't charge for loads of extras such as policy amendment so can actually work out cheaper in the long run. Even if they don't work out cheaper at least I won't feel I have been F up the a A which is probably worth paying something for.

So it is possible that at the end of the year they both cost the same, or one could be cheaper.

<SNIP> Unfortunately though as usual their renewal quote was less than competitive (another industry blag) and as such I ended up with this bunch of idiots..
Renewal notices always have a speculative anti-loyalty premium that relies on customer inertia, just sign up again as a new customer if the comparison sites say policy is a good price, or mention the difference to the call handler and they'll renew at the reduced price if the cover is identical (it sometimes isn't).

vickster

Legendary Member
Renewal notices always have a speculative anti-loyalty premium that relies on customer inertia, just sign up again as a new customer if the comparison sites say policy is a good price, or mention the difference to the call handler and they'll renew at the reduced price if the cover is identical (it sometimes isn't).
My parents' recent Home Insurance renewal price was £7 less than last year :okay: (through the AA :whistle: )

I'm with Aviva Plus who guarantee any renewal will be no more than a new customer quote :okay: (and they give me 10% off immediate as I have an ancient dormant pension with them, and another 10% off as I have home & motor insurance with them)

lane

Veteran
So it is possible that at the end of the year they both cost the same, or one could be cheaper.

Who knows loads of variables. But if you have third party insurance to drive any car, but it is deemed by them that does not include a courtesy car, you have to pay the additional insurance, and then a £25 admin fee on top, and possible £50 admin fee plus insurance to insure a car for two days if the garage can't sort it in one day, they Churchill are taking the piss because they know you have no option, well I did have an option at the end of the policy. Plus bad mouth them at every opportunity. May not be good business for them in the end.

D

Deleted member 26715

As for the £25 it is not just the persons wages that need paying,
Yes it is, all the others a assets that would need to be paid even if you didn't change your policy, I am not saying there is no cost to the insurer, but it should be quantified just like they did to the banks, in my instance £33 was not an acceptable amount.

My parents' recent Home Insurance renewal price was £7 less than last year :okay: (through the AA :whistle: )

I'm with Aviva Plus who guarantee any renewal will be no more than a new customer quote :okay: (and they give me 10% off immediate as I have an ancient dormant pension with them, and another 10% off as I have home & motor insurance with them)
I've seen anti loyalty fees on our house policies over the years, I have to say Aviva do seem to have a clue about customer service, as do LV+.

Top Bottom