The accidental commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I always have a £10 note in my saddle bag just in case of emergencies,as others have said-take it easy maybe do the route 2 or 3 times a week and you'll be amazed at your increased fitness level in no time:smile:

pedallingpasty

Nice one Ergates, i myself have started commuting again by bike after a few years break. Though nowhere near your distance. Just by making that effort to get to work shows you are up for it.
Within a week i have already felt a difference, i think the best plan to to just enjoy it. Luckily i have picked a slightly longer route route that goes through a bit of countryside, so it isnt't hard. I do a bit of hiking, but the different muscles used for cycling are hurting a bit at first.
I agree with the idea of keeping on using your present bike. With a comfy saddle, good road tyres and upright riding position, a mtb can be quite good for the daily commute. I am using a cheap ebay buy with road tyres on and will keep on using it for a few months before deciding to maybe change to a proper road bike. I guess if we make it harder for ourselves now, on a sleek road bike we will be flying:biggrin:. I have seen a lot of people go out and buy the flashiest bike going and then give up within a couple of weeks because they weren't comfy.
I also make sure i get a good breakfast of whole porridge oats and fruit etc for the slow burn carbs etc. And not forgetting a drink of water before hand.

All the best, Craig.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
dondare said:
Armadillos may not be the best choice for a 16 mile commute. Some people like them but my experience is a harsh ride and less-than-perfect puncture protection. I now use Schwalbe Marathon Plus for a comfy ride and no punctures at all. In my experience.

Just to add some "yin" to that particular "yang"

I ride 20 miles to work (40 in a day) on the armadillos, never had a... er... Hissing related issue...in literally thousands of mles (I soooo love saying that!!) and find them fast, smooth and comfy.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ashaman42 said:
Ace, I was going to ask if your name was a reference to this, fantastic book, and indeed, author

Yeah, every time I come back to this thread and read other people talking to Ergates it makes me smile and feel all happy. :biggrin::thumbsup:

Ashaman42

Über Member
BentMikey said:
Yeah, every time I come back to this thread and read other people talking to Ergates it makes me smile and feel all happy. :sad::thumbsup:

A bit OT but I've just finished The Algebraist for the second time, is very good.

Top Bottom