The alternative view from Pistonheads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For balance, someone has posted a piccy of a very nice Pompino, and even asked for advice on hub gears on it. On a car forum :laugh:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
"Before I go on I am a keen cyclist, but this is something which has always worried me, but this morning it almost caused a head on accident which wouldn't of been pretty.

I was on my way mountain biking (in the car), coming round a serious of bends to find another car on the other side in front of me, I had to slam the brakes on to avoid a collision, he had been overtaking a group of 6 cyclists, in three rows of course!

I appreciate it was bad driving, partly anyway, but he was probably stuck behind them for the last 3 or 4 minutes doing 15mph, I am not surprised it caused frustration and he attempted a reckless overtake. I was stuck behind a group of 20 cyclists last year for 5 minutes, a long time at 15-20mph, I just couldn't safely pass (and that's in an M3) as it was a twisty road, if they'd been single file I could of passed no problem.

Why do road cyclists think an A-Class road is the place for a Sunday morning social catch up? Why are you riding side by side? I know that's what the Highway code says, but let’s be honest the Highway code is well out of date. Try using your common sense. If you've worried about your visibility were a florescent jacket. You're putting yourself and others lives at risk!

I know Mountain Biking is classed as an "extreme" motorsport, but I think road cyclists are putting themselves in a much more vulnerable situation."

That's a direct quote from the piece.

It starts off with the classic, I'm not a racist/homophobe/kiddy fiddler qualification line.

Their double use of the word 'BUT' confuses what they're trying to say. Are they worried being a keen cyclist almost caused them to have a head on collision?

It is 'Wouldn't HAVE been pretty', not wouldn't OF been pretty'

Some idiot attempts an overtake on a blind bend, and the responsibility for that is the cyclists?

Probably stuck behind for an hour, a day, 3 weeks. Probably hints at a lack of information.

Ahh here we go, now starting to side with the maniac in 1.5 tons of metal. I'm more surprised the idiot didn't kill someone with their 'reckless (but justifiable) overtake.

(by the way that justifiable remark was irony. I've got a short time, and am playing to a mixed ability room, you'll just have to keep up).

I don't know about you, but my highway code is up to date, you might want to throw your copy away, along with your volumes of homophobe monthly and Mein Kampf.

It's you're, wear and fluorescent, but I don't think you'd take notice. Given your article, I suppose it's the reader's fault for not understanding your bad #speelleng and gramer", just as it's the cyclist's fault for the bad overtake?

The cyclists risk assessment must surely initially cover their own riding. I wasn't aware vicarious responsibility was the order of the day!! By your reckoning, as a cyclist, it is my fault a truck hit the central reservation of the M25, when I was sat at work in Yorkshire.

But, But.

Don't interupt you ******* toad!!!

Driving to a local forest one a month, wobbling along a mucky mud and shoot infested trail at 4 mph is not an extreme sport. Jumping out of a plane is - I know.

Then again, I don't think you ride at all. I think you're just another ******* weekend warrier (sp mistake deliberate - sarcasm), with your life savings invested in a 'state of the art' MTB strapped to you're (sarcasm again) M3 boot lid, desperately trying to keep up with the Jones'.

I'm not even going to qualify the vulnerable position remark. As a kean syclyst, u ort 2 no were a byke is sayfist. But it's not singlefile, in the debris and gulley-ridden gutter with no escape route, just so they don't get in you're and other (higher beings) motorists way.

But, but, but...

I'm off to work. On my bike. on an A road.

Prat.

Top Bottom