The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
10th one bagged today, again the original route was 114 miles, but late changes and tweaks meant I only had to find another 4 or 5 miles to get it up to the 200km, so I did :becool:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
12 rides done, so should achieve my modest lunacy target of 50km in the next week or so, and then think about stretching that distance during the remainder of the year.

View attachment 478519
Given that your shortest ride so far is 51 km, you only have to make sure your final qualifier is at least that distance to have stretched your distance by 2%! :okay:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Given that your shortest ride so far is 51 km, you only have to make sure your final qualifier is at least that distance to have stretched your distance by 2%! :okay:
Family holidays get in the way of cycling this month, so the 13th ride won't be dramatic. But by end of the year, i hope my 13 longest rides will be a bir further.

aferris2

Guru
Accidentally did another ride today. Got to the half way point (which should have been 26 miles) to find the Garmin showing 31 so my intended 50 mile ride got a bit extended. Got back to camp with about 105km on the clock. I'll post the details once Strava recovers from the overload today. Seems there must be another ride going on somewhere.

lane

Veteran
Good ride on Friday when I had a day off work. Had to go to the opticians in the morning so didn't get out until after midday. Still managed a 120km ride and didn't get home until 8pm. Went out through Nottingham West to East and then along some new roads which was interesting until I got to one of my favorite stops at 70km just before they closed - Naturescape at Langer shown in the photo below. I was struggling a bit for the first hour or so then got into a nice rhythm and the rest of the ride came easily. It was a lovely afternoon / evening for a ride.

I have 11 rides now so only two more to do to reach my 80km target. However I think I will aim for 100km now which means I will need to do another five.

photo resized.jpg

steverob

Guru
Well I passed up an opportunity to get another Lunacy ride done. Was doing the RideLondon 46 yesterday, and with the extra miles from my hotel to the start and from the finish to get my train home, I was already over 53 miles done. My legs still felt reasonable, so I thought that if I got off the train 3 stops early, I could easily do a 12 mile ride home to make it up to my 65 target.

Trouble is, when I reached the station, it was almost an hour wait for trains along my route and even those were short-formed, meaning it might be a struggle to get my bike on (they cannibalise my local service for carriages when there's a match on at Wembley). Plus while my legs were saying go, the weight of my luggage on my back had started to take its toll just on the 3 miles from the finish to the station and I didn't fancy doing any more with that load weighing me down.

Called my wife and asked her if she could drive to a station that, while it's not on our line, it is somewhat close and had plenty of trains going in that direction. Initially my plan was with the intention of just dropping off my bags in her car and then cycling back home (that would have been 9 miles direct, but I could have extended that), but by the time I got to that station, having spent 40 minutes sitting comfortably on the train, I could no longer be arsed and decided to pop the bike on the roof rack after all.

I'm sure that decision will come back and bite me when I'm trying to get 3 qualifying rides done in the last two weeks of December!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The steady path to total lunacy continues. On Sunday I met all August's targets by riding the Barnt Green Bash 100km Audax, plus ECEing from Gloucester to make it 200.

I'd never tried an ECE before. In fact I hadn't made it to the start of an Audax for almost 3 years. I did my best to time it right, but still arrived at Honeybourne village hall almost 20 minutes early, more than enough time to identify my card and pick it up from the table. But I did think of one useful thing to do while waiting, and the 30-odd starters were called to order promptly for the start. Soon all the others were disappearing up the road, and apart from one late starter who shot past a few miles later, I was riding alone. Just like one of my usual rides.

At the first info brain teaser I found I'd left my pens on my kitchen table, so I took a photograph in case I should have difficulty remembering the answer later:

Wawen.JPG

How far to Stratford? :rolleyes:

The bridge in the background is Wootton Wawen aqueduct, on the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal.

The way onwards to the half-way control was the hilliest part, including some roads I've done before and one particularly alarming descent. The approach to Barnt Green runs alongside a large reservoir which looks attractive on a map but trees prevent any clear views. At the control it was good to exchange words with some fellow riders, my twin Garmin setup and battle-scarred Brooks proving to be of some interest.

Soon after restarting I was caught by an unruly peleton of about a dozen riders, including a tandem which was very slow uphill but shot past everyone in alarming fashion on the descents. My progress was a little steadier than the group's, so we ended up passing each other a few times before they finally disappeared for good. I don't think I spoke to a single one of them. They must think me terribly antisocial.

Most of the return was into a significant headwind. It didn't seem like much fun at the time, especially when setting out on the return ECE leg which I really didn't feel I wanted to do. We've all been there, haven't we? How long is it before we can't wait to be out there again?

My rather pretty butterfly-barred tourer, which I bought secondhand but practically unused 2½ years ago, has been gathering dust ever since. I think it's time to give it a proper try. After grimly battling the wind for so long on Sunday I ended with aches around both collarbones, and I think for me the days of the drops may be coming to an end. I have tested the butterflies and I know they're comfortable, but it'll be a huge culture shock.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For everyone else (like me!) who didn't/doesn't know what ECE stands for - it is Extended Calendar Event! :okay:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
For everyone else (like me!) who didn't/doesn't know what ECE stands for - it is Extended Calendar Event! :okay:
:hyper:a year ago I was still struggling with audax accroyms and I am now guilty as charged, regularly sorting out mandatory DIY 200s or ECEing a 100 in audax time, All because of my RRtY attempt and hoping for a Randonneur 1000 and perhaps even an SR next year it's not all about the ride, mostly the acronyms. I'm sure it's a secret society whose code you have to crack to enter the murky depths of Info Controls, audax hotels and brevet cards.

lane

Veteran
12th ride completed with a 210km DIY Audax to my parents house. It was a simple out and back from Derby to near Sleaford. I have only once done the distance previously and that was in 2012. It was a nice day for a ride but a little too warm for me in the hour or so before I got to my parents for lunch. I had a longer stop than normal which meant the final couple of hours or so of the ride were in the nice cool evening getting back home around 9.45pm. It was a busy day for the farmers as well with every other field seemingly being harvested and me having to dodge fast moving tractors on the small roads.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I have sinned again, and wasn't lunatic again yesterday. Husband nearly sent me out to do another 10km when I got back, he was asleep on sofa after golf :laugh:

All challenges done this month (August) but my cousin invited me to do Wye Valley Sportive, I've only ever done 3 sportives before, so very interesting anthropologically speaking. Very expensive too! Had a lovely day out, and made myself ride 40km ew (or ECE if it had been a DIY audax which it couldn't be as part of another event) to Chepstow start. 6am I needed to start riding, and unlike nearly all other cyclists I know I do not relish mornings. It was actually 6.15 when I left, so had to crank it up to get to Chepstow by 8 for rendez vous with cousin and friend. Excellent day out, pretty hilly 110km with 1500m climbing. Heavens opened for half an hour up the Wye Valley, unlike the last two times I've been up there dying from heat exhaustion! Dried up sun came out and wind picked up. By the time I rode home the wind was quite feisty over the bridge. Couldn't be bovvered to do another 10km, slapped wrists. 190km 2400m All I do is chat about lunatic rides I haven't done :whistle:

Here we go again, September!!

Top Bottom