The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Lunacy Challenge update: I still haven't done my final ride! I had been toying with trying this coming Saturday but the forecast is currently for bitter 28 kph winds gusting to over 60 kph! I think that I might have to scrap that idea... :whistle:
Down here in the Sarf East the forecast is pretty good for Sat. Sunny intervals and a moderate breeze from the West which I may be able engineer as a tailwind for most of my ride :smile: Fingers crossed.

This looks like being the first year since I joined Audax UK in 2006 that I won't have actually ridden even one audax event!
Sooo..... why not do your final Lunacy ride as an audax DIY to avoid that?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sooo..... why not do your final Lunacy ride as an audax DIY to avoid that?
I, er... can't be bothered to! :laugh:

I can see me ending up going up and down the A646/A6033 for 8 hours with 2 days to go in 2019... :whistle:

TBH - I only joined Audax UK so I could accompany friends on some long rides but then carried on to support some of the local events.

Without a car it is very difficult to get to many events that I would otherwise like to do.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Without a car it is very difficult to get to many events that I would otherwise like to do.
This is my view too. I do have a car but I don't like spoiling a day's cycling by having to drive it. The result is that for all but a few Audaxes, over 50% of the difficulty is getting to and from the start. Actually doing the ride is the easy bit.

This is my view too. I do have a car but I don't like spoiling a day's cycling by having to drive it. The result is that for all but a few Audaxes, over 50% of the difficulty is getting to and from the start. Actually doing the ride is the easy bit.
I agree. I've driven to do a ride precisely once and I've never done an organised audax ride; all mine are DIY and I can well imagine never doing a calendar event.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I agree. I've driven to do a ride precisely once and I've never done an organised audax ride; all mine are DIY and I can well imagine never doing a calendar event.
I may look in to DIYs but the idea doesn't grab me. Seems like a whole load of effort to get it validated for no real return. After all I have my own validated records in RWGPS so I can make up my own awards/ use the CC "stars"

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm thinking of starting a new Realistic and Sensible Challenge in 2020. This would involve going out on the bike at least once in a year, only in good weather, and with a minimum qualifying distance of 1 km - I'm fairly sure that I could cope with that one! :laugh:

(It is quite depressing to think that within 20 years I might not even be able to manage that... while still alive, obviously! :whistle:)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Got to make the most of it now then. When the time comes get an electric bike.
A Scottish great uncle of mine was still cycling into his 80s but then his balance started to go. He kept falling off and after going to his GP to be patched up yet again, he got the bad news ... "Och, I'm afraid that it is probably time for yer tae hing up yer wheels!"

I suppose a trike and eventually an e-trike could be the answer to that problem... :whistle:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I, er... can't be bothered to! :laugh:

I can see me ending up going up and down the A646/A6033 for 8 hours with 2 days to go in 2019... :whistle:

TBH - I only joined Audax UK so I could accompany friends on some long rides but then carried on to support some of the local events.

I'm lucky that I have a very noble husband that will willingly take me to the start/pick me up (easy when he's riding 100km BPs too), but I don't like doing this unless totally essential. Horrible for him getting up at 5.30am if not riding and he works hard/long hours. Also not environmentally friendly or time efficient. Also I live in an area where most are within 25km so there are no excuses not to ride to/fro. Train is alternative, had an utter nightmare not getting to Tewkesbury in time for one 200 in summer. Ended up starting an hour late.

Fiona R

I may look in to DIYs but the idea doesn't grab me. Seems like a whole load of effort to get it validated for no real return. After all I have my own validated records in RWGPS so I can make up my own awards/ use the CC "stars"
You have to pay too, only worth doing if you need the validated points for say RRtY purposes.

You have to pay too, only worth doing if you need the validated points for say RRtY purposes.

I sometimes think the same with respect to both the above, but then, what's the point of audax in general in that case?

The single thing I use audax for is as motivation to do a AAA ride each month for AAARTY. Yes, I could just do it anyway, without the audax validation thing, but there's something a little more motivating about a third party check on completion. If it were just my own stats I might think "That 1,470m in 100km was probably 1,500m really, so I'll count it"; the external check avoids that ... ummm.... 'dilemma'. As it is, all I get is a nice feeling of another AAA round the year award, but just about no-one other than me remotely cares about that, so it's all about an independent third party ensuring I can't cheat myself.

Comparing DIY and Calendar events:

On a DIY I can leave deciding whether to go at all until the point of getting dressed up for cycling; I can go where I choose; I can start from home; no driving involved. Oh! And there's the whole faffing around with proof of passage stuff on a calendar event. I'm really not up for gratuitous receipt collection, not least since I hardly ever stop and buy anything en route - that would pretty much ruin the ride for me, whereas DIYs can be validated by GPS tracks, which is zero effort and no lost time.​

In contrast, on a calendar event I'd have to be at a certain place at, almost without exception, a time of day I'd not remotely consider being awake, let alone on a bike, and some distance from home. Then, I'd have to ride a route I didn't design myself, which is a big downside since planning routes is a considerable proportion of the 'fun' aspect for me. Not only that, but I'd have to do it on a day not of my choosing - I mean, it might be raining or something :ohmy: The horror.​

As to the effort involved in validation, I just tested this and submitting a planned ride took a little under 70 seconds (on-line, mandatory route gpx). Submitting the track took about 50s, for a grand total faffage of less than two minutes. Easy! (Definitely more time involved in an advisory route with checkpoints due to making sure it's long enough, but I've stopped doing those.)

Not that I'm trying to persuade anyone that DIY audaxes are the way to go or anything; it's all down to personal perceived benefits.

EDIT: And as an example of 'cheating' when there's no internal check: I'm probably going to make my annual target, but if I'm 20km short I'll be adding in the 22km I did n Shetland last week on a borrowed e-bike. If I make it to the target without the e-bike distance then most assuredly those 22 kilometres won't count in the total :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thank you @Sea of vapours, you've expressed much of what I was thinking far better than I could.

I hadn't twigged until the middle of last year that Audaxifying the sort of rides I was already doing could earn me some cool (OK not really!) Audax awards. Until then I'd seen no personal benefit in Audax membership whatsoever.

The cost of entering and validating a DiY is, by my judgment, well worth it for the benefits as I see them. So far I've avoided paying any money directly to Strava, RideWithGPS, etc., so I have enough spare to cover it anyway. I soon found that knowing the ride I'm on was helping to build an RRtY gave me a significant extra buzz. Quite unexpectedly, I greatly value the more formal recognition that Audax gives to my modest achievements.

I wouldn't want to play down the extra effort that goes into planning a ride when it's essential that it should meet the required Audax criteria, because it can be considerable. But route planning never ceases to be fun.

Up to now I've done four calendar events: two 100s and a 200 as a non-member; a 100 with a 100 ECE as a member. The definition of a Randonneur, according to the AUK website is "a person who has completed a recognised 200 kilometre ride". I probably qualify on that basis, but I until I've completed a 200 (or longer) calendar event as a member I'll feel there's something that hasn't quite been done.

But aside from that, riding away from my own doorstep and returning at the end of the day just feels so right. We made the decision as a household a few years back to go down to one car; if I still had the freedom that two cars give who knows how I'd feel?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ah - I didn't realise that the DIY audax approach is now so sensible, and (*gasp*) 'modern'! I looked at it years ago and it seemed to much of a faff to bother with.

I hardly spoke to anyone in any of the official 200s that I did so the fact that lots of other riders were taking part was almost irrelevant to me. And the fact that they were much fitter than me and whizzed away from me as soon as the road tilted upwards didn't fill me with joy! :laugh:

Hmm, maybe I will get organised and tackle some DIYs next year...

Fiona R

You've all summed up what EVERYONE (except those already partaking in audax calendars and DIYS) say to me:
"But why do you do it?" :laugh: for a badge? Well don't do it then, it doesn't matter.
Well colleagues think I'm bonkers for cycling 5 miles ew to work in the rain and don't get how/why I do it in the rain and dark. Some know about my affliction, but if I'm bonkers commuting 5 miles on a bike other than in summer on balmy days, then there's not much point in trying to explain. Why do we do anything, just like walking up a mountain, cos you can.

I like audax folk because they're warped like me. It's all about proving to myself I did it, and in an "official" capacity.

The lengths I've gone to this year to do my RRtY, I know I've done it and succeeded at something. Trouble is now I want to see if I can do a little more...:eek: even thinking about carrying on. In fact if I do another 200 this month I can finish a month earlier next year. :laugh: but you don't get another badge until 3 are done. RAAAtY is a logical next step too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom