The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I'm definitely up for this challenge again this year.

I've opted for a target distance of 84km - a 20% increase from last year's distance of 70km. I would like to try and get 13 rides over 90km but that might be a step too far.

I doubt if I'll post a ride before March - hopefully I'll have updated my signature before then ..

Happy New Year to everyone - and have a great year on your bike !

Made it: Tübingen, 100km.

Legs sulking. Want toast.

Proper report will follow when I have energy and can do the writng in sentences thing...

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm definitely up for this challenge again this year.

I've opted for a target distance of 84km - a 20% increase from last year's distance of 70km. I would like to try and get 13 rides over 90km but that might be a step too far.

I doubt if I'll post a ride before March - hopefully I'll have updated my signature before then ..

Happy New Year to everyone - and have a great year on your bike !
It's been great tracking your progress in la belle France, and to up by 20% is a real challenge. it's nice to have that "back of your mind" secondary target too. Especially as you do them all solo, happy riding in 2020 Bob ^_^

Fiona R

Right, first ride done. I revised my target down to 60km this year because so far I haven't found anywhere that I can do longer rides without having to mix with road trains and the like. We found a campsite at the last minute and lo and behold, there is a cycle path right next door. Just under 40km each way so it seemed a shame not to take advantage. Lots of other cyclists using the same route, so lots of "Happy New Years" all round. Very windy for the return, but that possibly makes up for the flatness. Only 325m up/down.
The first lunatic of the year, congrats for the swotty honour ^_^

Fiona R

Go on... you know you want to! :okay: (As well as all the other challenges that you do... :whistle:)
but I quite like winter....:laugh:

I'm opting in for a second year of the Lunacy Challenge.

Last year I aimed for 150km and achieved 152km so it's vaguely tempting to go for 153km. Almost inevitably, though, that would end up being 154km or more, and then the followng year would escalate further, and so on, leading eventually to either failing one year or recognising that the target is too high. Sooooo....... I think I'm going to opt for avoiding this escalation even starting by setting my 2020 target at 150km again.

As last year, and in the spirit of the challenge, I have near-zero intention of attempting a ride that long before late March or April though. By then, the window of riding time between the earliest I'm prepared to start riding and the Sun going down will have opened up to the required eight hours or so :-)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This year, like last, I will be organising an imperial century forum ride in March from Garforth out into the flatlands near York. I will try and get at least one qualifying ride in before that though, probably ridden solo.

As for now... my legs definitely feel the lack of riding in the last couple of months of 2019. I need to get back into action with some decent shorter rides ASAP!

StuartG

slower but further
My sympathies @ColinJ - I only just did it! I did my 13th ride in mid-December the day before I went on holiday so it was pretty much the last opportunity. The whole idea was I wouldn't be doing 10 hour rides in December/January/February when as well as weather it's dark at the end when you're tired and not at your sharpest as motorists enjoy their rush hour.

That's 'cos I not the fastest and what's the point of going places you haven't been before if you can't enjoy the countryside and include a couple of hours in cafe and pubs? Doing it faster would just not be as much fun.

My medium term target is to defy the ageing process by keeping the same target - hopefully completing it a little earlier. So 2020 is another 13 x 100 miles. The long term target is to do 100 x 100 miles to get that magic Eddington Number. I did my first 10 years ago. 2019's record 13 brought the total to 52 so if I can keep going I should complete in my 76th year - which presumes no serious health issues. But every year will be harder so it is touch'n'go. If i was a betting man I'd bet against it - which is the attraction of defying the odds.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My medium term target is to defy the ageing process by keeping the same target - hopefully completing it a little earlier. So 2020 is another 13 x 100 miles. The long term target is to do 100 x 100 miles to get that magic Eddington Number. I did my first 10 years ago. 2019's record 13 brought the total to 52 so if I can keep going I should complete in my 76th year - which presumes no serious health issues. But every year will be harder so it is touch'n'go. If i was a betting man I'd bet against it - which is the attraction of defying the odds.
Pretty much the same thing for me, though I am about 10 years younger than you! I worked out that another 3-4 years of successful Lunacy challenges would do it for me and I would be in my late 60s by then.

I used to use My Cycling Log to keep an eye on progress, but that is no more so I must switch to an alternative.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
First one done. Currently sat at Lincoln station waiting for the train to pull out. Took the opportunity to grab a few velo squares as well which saw me ride up the ridge three times, first climb at 94 miles the last at 101 miles, it was blinking windy on that ridge today!

for those wondering what the ridge is, it is the tiny lump that Lincoln sits on. The last climb I did was 15% but it felt a lot more

Fiona R

I seem to be taking part, again, but in conjunction with Imperial again. The 50km and 100km I will endeavour to keep separate again.

The same Chalke and Cheese audax that I kicked off with last year, hoping it would be easier this year :laugh: 209 km but 75% cross to headwind and flipping heck it was a gusty wind, the sort that jumps you sideways passing a gate, but a tailwind up Cheddar Gorge for the last 40km in the dark back to Warmley. I rode to the start at Warmley on the Bristol Bath Railway Path, leaving before 6am :wacko: adding another 18km so 227km.

Riding the B2B in the dark again coping with blinking rear lights and then emerging from the Two Tunnels to the first hint of light was a relief. Cross headwind down to Wilton with some drizzle and the first control at Boyton at just over 50km but more like 70 for me. Even though I had pre-ordered a panini and coffee I should have gone to the counter before the stamp queue, so wasted a good 20+ minutes. I don't usually arrive at controls at the bulge, so I was a little faster. Got to chat with some fellow lunatics. After Wilton (of carpet fame) we head into the wind and the hills proper start to the second control at Broad Chalke and we're still not half way. I only briefly stopped and continued on my own now for the very long 80 km to Wedmore via Shaftesbury and Wells, mainly cross headwind again. A major questioning of my own sanity at this point. The hills round Bruton were tough, I didn't walk but the countryside very distinctively rolling chalk. I sat on someone's step in Bruton and ate an almond butter/marmite roll and carried on, I missed a turn before Wells so toured the cathedral but nothing too serious, a bit of a diversion required in Wookey for extensive road works but I diverted back too quickly and ended up tramping through them anyway but the workers were very amenable.

Unlike last year I made Wedmore at dusk and the shop was still serving tea and with a pain au choc and the public conveniences still being open, this made for a much better launch into the short ride to Cheddar and up the Gorge. I had seen plenty of faster friends at the last control but again rode the whole of the last section in the dark on my own. I was suspicious my rear tyre was a bit soft and checked it so with a lot of hand pumping (too wuss to try a canister) I got enough pressure in and crossed everything I'd make the last 40km.

Cheddar Gorge in the dark and not too many cars, lovely listening to the owls and other wildlife. No fog or rain so visibility was relatively good, although I have to crawl in the dark, especially down West Harptree and around Chew Valley not wanting to hit any more potholes with my iffy tyre. The penultimate horrible Publow Hill out of Pensford was the only one I walked, but still quite a hike back through Keynsham, Bitton and Warmley with a last little kicker at my 225km mark to the arrivée about an hour earlier than last year and a very welcome pint of cider and salted peanuts and lots of chat. My overall speed did drop under 20km/hr overall though which is a bit disappointing but inevitable in the dark.

Unlike most others I was not game for the ride back to base, and called the broomwagon, I wasn't sure if he was available (playing golf and watching Bristol rugby in one day) until that point but mightily relieved he was given the slow puncture that had lost some more pressure but made it.

Major aches today, but I have found offending small spike of metal on inside of tyre and patched puncture, washed bike/chain properly :angel:and I have been allowed special permission to let her dry properly in the house :wub: All ready for next time, must remember to lube it though as my chain squeaked all the way round as it hadn't been cleaned very thoroughly after Festive 500 :whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom