The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are a lot of people who end up having iffy years for riding due to illness and injury. Having this to fall back on would be superb for all of us.

The additive max 13 rides thing then encourages those who ride further etc. to push their distances which is part of the challenge motivation.

Definitely agree with a moon for all that complete. Also, I think this song should be the theme tune for the challege:

View: https://youtu.be/QLncD0ta2jQ

StuartG

slower but further
Can I add a vote for the "13th Ride". We spend the first part of the season adding each new ride to our list. The score stays zero until the thirteenth. Then chunking off the redundant ride so our 'score' keeps rising. You can have a target but the great thing absent from the current challenges is you can just keep on beating it so the challenge doesn't end until December 31st or until the winter blizzards set in.

Same principle as an annual Eddington but limited to the 13 best rides.

Why a challenge anyway? I'm not interested in beating anybody - the person who struggles to a 50k is probably more to be encouraged than those who find an imperial century 'comfortable'.

No, - I lie - the person I want to beat is myself. That by definition is a level playing field in place, bike and age. The challenges pushed me into riding further, putting in the extra loop and getting fitter as a result. So if I get to a 100 as a lunatic that means the next ride in the year is going to be at least 101 .,. this is exactly the encouragement I need.

And start next year with a 102?

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
I think if we go ahead with the 13th Ride plans, while having a target distance is a good idea (say, put it at the bottom of your first post of the year), it shouldn't be limited just to the already running challenge distances (50/100 km/miles). If someone who has only just started/restarted cycling wants to have a target of just 30km to encourage them, then that's brilliant. Equally at the other end of the scale, someone who doesn't find doing an imperial century all that tough, but doesn't necessarily fancy doing one during each of the winter months (which is how this thread started is it not?), then they can put down 125 miles or whatever they want.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like the idea of a target, but I also like the idea of a constantly-updating achievement through the year, until it probably starts to dry up in the autumn.

We could make the target distance optional. Either report any ride making it into your current top 13, or if you prefer to stick to the target idea, report only those of your rides >= target distance.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
There are a lot of people who end up having iffy years for riding due to illness and injury. Having this to fall back on would be superb for all of us.

The additive max 13 rides thing then encourages those who ride further etc. to push their distances which is part of the challenge motivation.

Definitely agree with a moon for all that complete. Also, I think this song should be the theme tune for the challege:

View: https://youtu.be/QLncD0ta2jQ

Crikey - I had completely forgotten Camel and that song!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
When we were discussing new challenges a while ago I drew up red and blue stars as possibles. Still got them if they're of any use:
Blue Star.jpg
Red Star.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When we were discussing new challenges a while ago I drew up red and blue stars as possibles. Still got them if they're of any use:
View attachment 434444 View attachment 434445
Nice of you to offer, but I think it would be good to use a different shape (such as the crescent moon) to differentiate this annual challenge from the monthly ones. Something like this:
red crescent.png
(The tool I used to remove the background colour has messed the crescent up slightly, but we can soon improve on that.)

Top Bottom