The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Surely your probable near misses illustrate the different difficulties and approaches in each of those challenges?

The monthly challenges are difficult since they absolutely require a ride each month. It doesn't matter which distance you're doing; the weather, or other factors, can wreck completion. The challenges thus encourage getting a qualifying ride in as early as possible in any given month; yet a bad month, whether it's weather, health or availability, can still end the challenge attempt.

The Lunacy was conceived as addressing those slightly arbitrary, sometimes external, difficulties. it's not critical to do a ride in the winter months. Indeed, as discussed above, we considered a rule that you could not count rides outside some rule-defined 'winter period' since, originally, that was the whole point, to 'not do winter'. That's too fiddly to define, what with hemispheres and different climates and such. it's still the case, however, that the Lunacy is difficult since it forces, or rather encourages, getting the thirteen rides done before it's 'too late', which tends to imply 'before November' at northern European latitudes. The challenge is about when to start, how densely to do the rides, and the distance achievable. Given the longer timescale, external factors should be less of an issue.

In both cases, the point is to help impose some kind of personal discipline, but with different priorities. Essentially, the monthly challenges are just that: a new challenge each month. The Lunacy is properly annual and only incidentally overlaps with the monthly ones. Anyway, as you said:
I’ve had my best year so far on a bike and I take a lot of pleasure from my achievements in 2021.
Great stuff ! That's exactly right, so:
a) it's great that the two challenges presumably contributed to that happening by providing motivation;
b) everyone can constrain themselves as they see fit (I have a minimum climb rate for example) and it doesn't really matter who 'claims' which 'awards', in that it's all notional and on trust in any case.

bluenotebob

Veteran
urely your probable near misses illustrate the different difficulties and approaches in each of those challenges?

The monthly challenges are difficult since they absolutely require a ride each month. It doesn't matter which distance you're doing; the weather, or other factors, can wreck completion. The challenges thus encourage getting a qualifying ride in as early as possible in any given month; yet a bad month, whether it's weather, health or availability, can still end the challenge attempt.

Thanks.

If one of the sub-texts of your post is don’t be concerned by what others are doing, just concentrate on your own efforts then, of course, you’re right .. but it still niggles.

One of the simplest measures of annual performance is overall distance covered and I passed 10,000km this year .. previous annual totals for the last 3 years were 4569, 8311 and 9225 – so I’m still on an upward trajectory. I guess that participation in both the HMCAM and this Challenge did provide some extra motivation to push on and succeed – but daily, weekly and monthly targets were the primary driving force.

I really enjoyed this Challenge in 2019 – there were more of us taking part and some people posted some truly spectacular achievements. 2020 was screwed up by Covid and there seem to be even less of us this year. Maybe it’s simply because it’s very hard to do this challenge alongside a Monthly challenge – and that puts people off entering.

I haven’t completely abandoned any hope of finishing both challenges this year – perhaps the second half of December will bring better weather…

Entering this Challenge next year doesn’t feature in my current plans but I’ll see where I am in the Spring. I’ve had a new carbon Mountain bike on order for 14 months now – my LBS are still hopeful of delivery this month (but I’m not holding my breath). If I do get the new bike in the next few weeks then I will follow a different direction in 2022 – I’ll be looking to do a lot of ‘off-road’ riding next year rather than long-distance road cycling. I expect that my ‘Annual Distance’ will suffer as a consequence but tant pis – I want to continue to enjoy my biking and perhaps a different approach (and new goals) next year will help me maintain that feeling of enjoyment/success. As I said yesterday, I’ll stay in the HMCAM challenge and I’ll probably duck out of this one… but have it as a fall-back if I screw-up the Monthly Challenge (as you rightly say, that was the original purpose of this Challenge anyway).

A final comment about this Challenge .. I always seem to fail to appreciate how big a number 13 is .. it’s much nearer 15 than 10. If I do launch myself into this Challenge again, I’ll target 15 rides but I’ll relax after 13..

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This weather is saving me from myself!

Every time I think about sneaking 'just one more' qualifying ride in this year, I look out of the window, and think "Nah, blow that for a game of soldiers..."! It has been so wet and gloomy in the valley here today that I can barely see across my kitchen without the light on. I will stay indoors where it is warm and dry.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did that this morning. A bad night's sleep and pouring rain at 6am convinced me to go back to bed and get more sleep. When I finally got up it was blue skies and perfect winter cycling weather. Which I spent finishing off some painting that has been half done for 6 months. :sad:

aferris2

Guru
13 ride done so the challenge is complete.
Weather forecast was showing little wind, no rain and temperatures of 12C so too good an opportunity to miss. I almost had too many layers on so had to keep the speed down a bit to stop overheating (that's my excuse anyway). Roads were very wet so lots of muddy spray everywhere. I even had to wash the bike down when I got home.
Thanks to @ColinJ for setting up the challenge. Congratulations to everyone who has already completed the challenge this year and good luck to all those still to cross the finishing line.
Need to think about the 2022 challenge. Do I stick with the same distance or push the boat out for 80km...

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Impressive, but mad! :laugh:

I will try harder next year; promise! :okay:
It was a little bit mad i suppose. It feels like a nice achievement though.:laugh:

steverob

Guru
Looks like I'm not going to manage my stretch goal - out of the four weekends since doing my last Lunacy ride, one was spent doing a short hilly ride, another was curtailed due to bad weather and the most recent two I couldn't ride at all due to a bad back. And given the forecast for the period between Christmas and New Year (when I happen to be off work) is basically looking to be sodden all week, it means my chances of doing any sort of long ride is incredibly unlikely. Heck, I haven't even done my half-century ride for December yet!

Bit of a shame, but at least I did two more rides than the minimum 13, which bumped up my distance to just over 63 miles in the end.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Would I be right in thinking this will run next year too?
Yes!

If I can figure the rules out....
Simply pick a distance for your rides and do 13 of them in the year. Pick a distance that you won't find too easy (that isn't much of a challenge) but don't pick one that is ridiculously hard either (no matter how keen, you are not likely to do 13 rides 347 miles long!)...

steverob

Guru
Simply pick a distance for your rides and do 13 of them in the year. Pick a distance that you won't find too easy (that isn't much of a challenge) but don't pick one that is ridiculously hard either (no matter how keen, you are not likely to do 13 rides 347 miles long!)...
I'd say take a look at your rides from this year and see if you can work out what your 13th longest was. Then set a target that's about 10-20% above that - depending of course on how much of a challenge you want!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'd say take a look at your rides from this year and see if you can work out what your 13th longest was. Then set a target that's about 10-20% above that - depending of course on how much of a challenge you want!
Sounds like a plan. 37 km for me then! :laugh:

(Joke! I'm not sure what it would actually be, but I had a bad year this time so I will stick to my actual target of 100 km.)

FrothNinja

Veteran
Yes!

Thinking hat time

Top Bottom