The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went up Birchcliffe Rd, then through Midgeley, then Bank House Lane and Rough Hall Lane, then Cold Edge Rd to the top, which I think is past that mill; certainly it went past *a* mill anyway. I wasn't about to venture onto the bridleway when 80km from home ;-) My half way point was on the newly upgraded bit of road - from track to road, that is - by the reservoir at the top.

As to the two towers, I thought the pointy one, Wainman's Pinnacle was rather more prominent, at least from the road to the north of them when headed westward, than the castellated one. They're a rather fine pair anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't think that you would use the bridleway!

I used to get a lift to work in the early 90s from somebody who lived in a cottage just before the steep bend towards the summit above Dodd Naze, beyond Birchcliffe Rd. He knew that I had bought a bike and was getting fitter. We were driving in to work one morning and he commented that he had never seen a cyclist manage to ride to the top of that hill - they all walked their bikes past his cottage. That evening I got on my bike and cycled up Birchcliffe, past Dodd Naze, and spotted him doing his garden at the front of the house. I gave him a cheery wave as I cycled past him and all the way to the top! :laugh:

I was using higher gears on that bike - my lowest gear was 42/28. The lowest gear on my 6-speed bike now is nearly the same - a very slightly lower 42/29. I might go and try doing the climb on that bike to see if I can manage it. (I would normally use 28/30 these days.)

For anybody interested in taking a look at the climb - start HERE on Street View and just keep going up until you finally crest at Mount Skip on Height Rd. (There used to be a pub there with magnificent views across the Calder Valley but it closed years ago.)

The lowest gear on my 6-speed bike now is nearly the same - a very slightly lower 42/29. I might go and try doing the climb on that bike to see if I can manage it.
I'm going to postulate that the answer to that question is 'No!' ... It really does go on a bit. I planned this route back in May and I'd forgotten why I'd routed myself along the valley roads. On Thursday night I saw this 'mistake' and corrected it, thinking that the view from Heights Road would be good. Well yes, it was, but getting there was rather arduous, that's for sure!

Plus, I came out of Lees Yard so had to do that right/left dogleg. Given that the left is about 160 degrees, I unclipped and couldn't get re-clipped on the 20% starting ramp, so had to start again from a different angle :-\

FrothNinja

Veteran
Last time I rode past Earl Crag it was up behind it then I went out to East Riddlesden (I think). Past a res full of ice cream eaters in any case

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm going to postulate that the answer to that question is 'No!' ... It really does go on a bit. I planned this route back in May and I'd forgotten why I'd routed myself along the valley roads. On Thursday night I saw this 'mistake' and corrected it, thinking that the view from Heights Road would be good. Well yes, it was, but getting there was rather arduous, that's for sure!
Thinking about it... If the almost inevitable happened (the 42/29 gear were too tough for me), I could have a long walk with my bike! I think that I will ride my triple-equipped Cannondale but try to keep it in its 28/19 gear. That would give a ratio midway between a 42/28 and a 42/29, but at least I could bale out into a lower gear if I had to.

Gear chart.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Mmmmm.... Having thought about it for a full couple of seconds, I'm still going for 'No' I'm afraid :-)

Good luck though ....
I reluctantly agree, but... you know how it is! :laugh:

I am not only not a spring chicken, I am also a damaged old chicken, so it probably isn't a great idea but one has to try. I promise at the first sign of heart problems I will jump off my bike and...

... have a cardiac arrest! :whistle:

Alex321

Veteran
A little on the windy side today, but not stupid strong, and otherwise nice, so manage to get out this morning for a 38 mile ride - third longest of the year. Did try one hill (Norton hill) that was new to me but has a tough reputation - deserved, as I ended up pushing for a few hundred yards. Strava and Veloviewer both show almost all the climb as below 15%, but it seemed more than that.

Other than that, fairy uneventful. A lot of other cyclists out, stopped for a coffee at Café Velo in Llantwit Major.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, the clocks have gone back, I am still way behind, so I will shortly have to either start 'doing winter' after all, or admit to failing once more.

If we have a mild, dry November, then just maybe...? I don't fancy repeatedly dragging myself up and down the A646 in December snow again!

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
So much for the "aka I don't Do Winter". Did my 13th qualifying ride today, in temperatures between zero and minus 3. This also took me over 4,000 miles for the year.

For the first half - two thirds of the ride, with temperature between zero and minus 1, it was actually quite pleasant, virtually no wind, even a bit of sun at times. But then it did get to feeling a bit cold in the latter part, as the temperature dropped another couple of degrees, and what little bit of wind there was became a head wind - not enough to slow me down at all, but enough to make it feel just a bit colder.

FrothNinja

Veteran
So much for the "aka I don't Do Winter". Did my 13th qualifying ride today, in temperatures between zero and minus 3. This also took me over 4,000 miles for the year.

For the first half - two thirds of the ride, with temperature between zero and minus 1, it was actually quite pleasant, virtually no wind, even a bit of sun at times. But then it did get to feeling a bit cold in the latter part, as the temperature dropped another couple of degrees, and what little bit of wind there was became a head wind - not enough to slow me down at all, but enough to make it feel just a bit colder.

Congrats - hope you are nice and toasty now

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Went out for a lunacy ride this morning.
Was good to be out in the fresh air and the darkness at 6:30; then to see the sky lighten and the sun come up. But after 3 months of illness I felt unfit & slow, with a collection of unexpected aches and pains; I had to transfer to a flat and unimaginative route which did little to regain my cycling mojo.

Haven't checked or updated the main thread yet but think i need another 2 rides on top of today's if I'm to complete the challenge. Not sure I'll have time for more cycling!

FrothNinja

Veteran
Went out for a lunacy ride this morning.
Was good to be out in the fresh air and the darkness at 6:30; then to see the sky lighten and the sun come up. But after 3 months of illness I felt unfit & slow, with a collection of unexpected aches and pains; I had to transfer to a flat and unimaginative route which did little to regain my cycling mojo.

Haven't checked or updated the main thread yet but think i need another 2 rides on top of today's if I'm to complete the challenge. Not sure I'll have time for more cycling!

Fingers crossed for you

Top Bottom