The Annual Lunacy Climbing Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is there any logic behind the no reuse of roads rule, or is it just an arbitrary "don't step on the cracks" sort of thing to make route planning more of a challenge?
There are already plenty of climbing challenges... Everesting, half-Everesting and so on so I wanted to come up with something a bit different. There wouldn't be much of a challenge for me living here if I could reuse roads because practically every ride I do over 50 kms in length has 1,000+ m of ascent!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have just realised why I have been thinking along these lines...

I have lost my long-distance mojo in these Covid-19 times, and especially now that we are slipping into winter, so I am trying to make the most of the short rides that I have been doing. I have devised a 5 km loop in Todmorden that has 110 m of ascent in it. I do it on a singlespeed bike so I get my pulse rate well up on the 4 climbs on the loop. It is only a short ride, but I think it is enough to keep my fitness ticking over while I wait for my enthusiasm to return.

It crossed my mind that if I did it 9 times then I would pretty much cram 1,000 m of ascent into 45 km. But I quickly realised that I would go mad after a few laps. Then I started wondering if I could get the climbing in without boring myself (and without spending much time on busy roads) by a careful choice of an intensely hilly route with each road to be ridden once.

I think a 30-something km route with 1,000 m of ascent ridden 'briskly' (say) 3 times a week would work wonders for my fitness.

PS. I think you're wrong allowing cross-overs. From an aesthetic point of view this would result in a much more pleasing rule of "circular routes only".
Maybe you are right... Perhaps make the crossroads option, er, optional? :whistle:

Last edited:

Tribansman

Veteran
I've a better challenge, Do less than 3,000 feet over 100 miles.

Reading through this thread, I was going to suggest that!

Although whether this is a challenge depends on where you live. Pretty easy in and around East Anglia, I've done several this year between 2,400 and 2,800.

Maybe here it should be under 2,000 feet. And you can't just ride in Norfolk or the fens!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Reading through this thread, I was going to suggest that!

Although whether this is a challenge depends on where you live. Pretty easy in and around East Anglia, I've done several this year between 2,400 and 2,800.

Maybe here it should be under 2,000 feet. And you can't just ride in Norfolk or the fens!
Would you specify a minimum compensatory wind speed?! :whistle: :laugh:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just did a ride in South Devon today. 28 miles, 3800ft climbing. That wasn't really looking for hilliest possible route. Suspect it would be easy to come up with something horrendous like 20 miles/3500 ft down here if you put your mind to it

Actually the ride wasn't too exhausting. All over with in a two hours and a bit, not enough time to get fatigued

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just did a ride in South Devon today. 28 miles, 3800ft climbing. That wasn't really looking for hilliest possible route. Suspect it would be easy to come up with something horrendous like 20 miles/3500 ft down here if you put your mind to it
I'm looking forward to doing many such rides - my younger sister has just retired to a big cottage near Exeter.She has said that I can leave a spare bike in her outbuilding which is good news as I intend to visit her at least 4 or 5 times a year and carting a bike back and forth by train every time would be a right pain.

I think I'll check out her local hills on my OS maps and see what I can come up with. I won't be going down until I have had both of my Coronavirus jabs, but it will be fun to plan something nice for the future.

Sharky

Guru
This thread has got a lot to answer for. Up to now, I couldn't be bothered with Strava. Just content with recording miles on my garmin and of course keeping a record of my TT's over the last 50 years.
But now to record feet climbed, am now on Strava!

Haven't the time to get up to 3000' yet, but today's ride...

Apart from a minute overlap at the start/finish, all roads covered only once in either direction.

Just shows how hilly Kent can be and there lots more hills to climb if I can get out for a longer ride.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This thread has got a lot to answer for. Up to now, I couldn't be bothered with Strava. Just content with recording miles on my garmin and of course keeping a record of my TT's over the last 50 years.
But now to record feet climbed, am now on Strava!

Haven't the time to get up to 3000' yet, but today's ride...
View attachment 562589

Apart from a minute overlap at the start/finish, all roads covered only once in either direction.

Just shows how hilly Kent can be and there lots more hills to climb if I can get out for a longer ride.
Garmin does show height gained

Sharky

Guru
Garmin does show height gained
True, but not quite the same graphical presentation. Was quite impressed by Strava, but the UI is terrible. So over complicated. Took me 10 mins at the end of my first ride to find the save button in the dark.

Top Bottom