The Apprentice - makes me cringe with embarrassment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Any young viewer who has not worked and is thinking about a career in business would be discouraged by the programme; it fails completely to convey the pleasure of doing business with trusted customers and suppliers, the elegance of honest business where everybody benefits from the original producer right down to the final customer and the satisfaction of doing a good day's work and getting paid for it.

I disagree. The Apprentice isn't going to tell anyone anything very deep, but it is light entertainment. Heavily edited, but I think it captures the essence of work in this country. You see the 'mistakes' in real life public sector and private sector. You see those personalities, those communications styles, you see the acidic blame culture every day in real life business. They edit it and pick particular people to try and create entertainment obviously, doesn't mean it tells you nothing. For a very young viewer it's one of the few programmes that has a section on job interviews (usually one programme in the latter stages). They actually edit this too much and don't show enough. It may put someone young off business, but far too many workplaces out there act in a very similar manner to the show a large enough amount of the time. Maybe that's a good thing if they are put off. If someone thinks it is crap tv fair enough.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I would like his secretary's job though. "Lord Sugar will see you now.", that's it job done for the week off to the pub I go!!!

I actually find it quite entertaining which I suppose it's meant to be, especially watching the over inflated egos tearing each other apart in the board room.

Suprised to see Melody get the boot last night but then she was so far up herself and would give an asprin a headache.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I am proud of the fact I have never watched it :becool: though I do admit to watching series1 or 2 of BB :blush:

weakling, I've never watched either or any of the talent shows :angel:

To be honest I have always had an aversion to laughing at, as opposed to with, others, doesn't mean I don't do it but seeking it out is a step too far for me.

Nothing against Alan Sugar, but this show has feck all to do with business, it's just more train wreck TV. I thought I would enjoy Dragons Den but it was just about cruelty as well, gave up on that after a couple of episodes.

Arch

Married to Night Train
And what's with the Dara O'Briain post match analysis? Does every program have to be dissected after broadcast these days? I've a jolly good mind to write into the BBC's Points Of View, or the Daily Mail, I can tell you etc

Well, if your letter doesn't get onto Points of View, it might make it onto Points of View: The second look, presented by Davina McCall over on BBC2...

;)

I haven't seen it either, I realise the bloke's made a lot of money but he always associates himself with third-rate products such as Amstrad and Tottenham Hotspur.

thats because he owns amstrad, which makes quite a number of products now that it no longer makes computers

It was Amstrad that made VHS machines at an acceptable price to the masses. Oh yes, for those with Sky, didn't he manufacture the Sky Plus boxes?

indeed

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

Which is neither here nor there. If any company could claim to be the daddy of PVRs it would be Tivo. If you were writing things to get excited about about PVRs in the UK amstrad would be at least third behind Tivo and Humax. Furthermore if the argument is sky+ made PVRs cheap for the masses that argument is contradictory since it's locked into Sky subs or paying a tenner. It is so retrograde it is almost amusing that someone would regard a serious defect as most PVR owners would view it, as a positive.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Well said, that man! Glad to know that I am not the only one here who has impeccible taste in TV :smile:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I absolutely love it. It confirms all my most cherished prejudices, and is riotously funny. The two henchpeople are fabulous value.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
I would take on the little Chinese girl as she has run a market stall for many years and developed her own products and has come from poverty in China. You have to admire some of them who have come from very poor backgrounds. The Irishman has the gift of the gab but not much substance or expreience and Tom seems a bit of a gork although he has invented one or two products and knows about product development.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I would take on the little Chinese girl as she has run a market stall for many years and developed her own products and has come from poverty in China. You have to admire some of them who have come from very poor backgrounds. The Irishman has the gift of the gab but not much substance or expreience and Tom seems a bit of a gork although he has invented one or two products and knows about product development.

You mean the 21-year old woman from Croydon?

Top Bottom