The Aristocrat of bicycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
One of the most beautiful bikes I have clapped eyes on.

Eddiethelaowai

I have something a little similar to this - recently picked up a classic Chinese roadster for 30 quid in the local used bike market - the frame was in excellent condition although there were a few probs - a bit of rust around the handle-bars, brake rods and rear rack; brake pads weren't aligned properly (now fixed), the crank-arms were a little loose (now fixed), the saddle skin is somewhat detached and regularly slips off (a literal pain in the @rse when I get out of the saddle and then sit down on the springs and find the skin slipped down); handlebars aren't on straight and there's a few teeth missing off the crank-wheel which causes the chain to regularly come off.

Nice easy restoration project and probably a good investment - China's bicycle industry is currently at the same stage as the UK's was in the 1970s-80s - Roadsters are out of fashion and most cyclists are buying rigid MTBs and 10-speed road-bikes with downtube shifters. Whilst you can buy Treks, Giants, Spesh's etc, they're out of the price range of many Chinese - however give it 20 years and when the domestic bike factories are pumping out hybrids and carbon road bikes, classic roadsters will inherit the 'retro-chic' status and people will be paying a lot more for them!

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Looks well comfy and a certain elegance, I do think they look better in racing green but that just my opinion. A classic roadster.

Top Bottom