The Art Deco bicycle build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loopybike

Veteran
I've had an urge to build an art deco bicycle for a few years. I don't really know why.
Following on from a thread I started requesting ideas from you lovely people I'm now at a starting point. I also posted a similar thread on the American ratrodbikes site. The different ideas was quite interesting. The American lot see art deco as cruisers with pretend fuel tanks, Schwim style. Us British seam a little more open minded.
What I didn't offer was my idea of what an art deco bicycle would look like.
While I like the streamed look, I've kind of done that already with the blue Carlton. No, I'm thinking more of symmetry, parallel lines, sleek with sharp angles.

I drew up a few ideas so I think I know what direction I'm going in.

The first thing I needed to do was to get hold of a bike. I considered making a frame (and may still go down this route) but buying all the parts new would get expensive. So a whole bike makes financial sense. The bike needs to have hub brakes at the front and either the same at the back or a coaster brake. Either single speed or, preferably hub gears. A steel frame would be better if I need to add tabs or brackets.
So I was quite pleased when this came up locally
IMG_20181005_092217_759.jpg

It cost more than I wanted but much less than the cost of its parts.

The fun begins......

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
So what have I bought?
It's a 1980s dutch Sparta Miami
I've started to strip it down to the basics. Off with the mudguards, chain guard, rack and coat guard.
DSC_0307.JPG
DSC_0301.JPG
DSC_0303.JPG
DSC_0302.JPG

AndyRM

XOXO
At the end I will, but not yet. That would give the game away :smile:

Fair point. I am looking forward to everything about this thread!

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
I have got some whacky ideas for this though. Some will find their way on to the build, some may not!
I think I've watched too much Poirot!

Drago

Legendary Member
I am also watch g this thread with mucho anticipation. You better build something awesome or we'll cackle with glee, but after seeing the Rocket Sidecar I very much doubt you'll build anything that isn't awesome.

Top Bottom