The Ashes - 2010/11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Series totals:

Australia 2631/91 England 2864/56

In real terms, these figures coincidentally equate to a gnat's cock over a 'country mile', and a tad short of a 'blue moon'.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
1. They need a new bowling coach, and the realisation that bowlers may take five years to make the top grade. Anderson and Broad have not happened overnight - they've both been nurtured
2. They need a batting coach who will teach them the basics about leaving the stray ball and running between wickets
3. They need a captain who thinks non-stop
4. Their fielding is below par, and they need a fielding coach who can raise standards

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Series totals:

Australia 2631/91 England 2864/56

In real terms, these figures coincidentally equate to a gnat's cock over a 'country mile', and a tad short of a 'blue moon'.

So, ignoring whatever effect not outs and did not bats have on the averages, that translates as needing 29 runs to dismiss an Aussie bat, and 51 runs to dismiss an English bat? If I'm reading the figures correctly, that's a hairline fracture short of a crevasse.

That aside they have everything in place.

I'm sure the cricketing world was indoctrinated with the mantra that this most recent period of Australian dominance was the product of an Australian system and character that would carry on churning out a conveyor belt of world-beaters ad infinitum.

Has that system broken, then? or is it just the usual mundane explanation that a serendipitous period of top flight performers emerging at the same or successive times has run its natural course?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Surely it's a mix of both. Fielding and running between the wicket is, to an extent, amenable to coaching and discipline. Mitchell Johnson needs coaching (and/or ECT). Captaincy skills can be aquired. Equally - Haddin is no Greg Chappell, Shane Warne is a massive loss (and they may never see his like again) and Ponting, their best batsman over the last few years, is reaching the end of his test career.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I think this series also shows that too many Aussies are unable to play the long game now and seem to have the twenty twenty mentatility that every ball needs to be hit even if it is a bad one

U

User482

So, ignoring whatever effect not outs and did not bats have on the averages, that translates as needing 29 runs to dismiss an Aussie bat, and 51 runs to dismiss an English bat? If I'm reading the figures correctly, that's a hairline fracture short of a crevasse.

It's worse than that. England won three matches by an innings so that's three matches in which they only batted once.

Heh heh!

I'm sure the cricketing world was indoctrinated with the mantra that this most recent period of Australian dominance was the product of an Australian system and character that would carry on churning out a conveyor belt of world-beaters ad infinitum.

Has that system broken, then? or is it just the usual mundane explanation that a serendipitous period of top flight performers emerging at the same or successive times has run its natural course?

I don't think the system has broken...after the 1991 Rugby World Cup, Australia were so dynamic and adventurous - possibly due to Lynagh and Campese et al (All my coaching stuff subsequently was Aus. drills to improve speed, co-ordination etc)
...Australia possibly lack that edge nurtured by IPL or 20/20, where everyone has to fight for every single thing. Modern professional rugby is like that, with its limited but enthusiastic audiences...a harsh reality is falling across the minority sports to keep them compelling and attractive to people who pay to watch. Australia, with previous successes, have perhaps just rested on their laurels a little...

U

User482

I slept for 11 hours last night. I think it's due to the jet lag...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Just read this interesting article! http://www.dailytele...0-1225955985591

This chap is certainly no soothsayer, but it makes for entertaining reading! I hope he's still writhing in embarrassment! :tongue:

Bearing in mind it was back in mid-November, this comment from ''SteveMartin60'' was pretty much on the money:

''As an English supporter I'd like to thank Will Swanton and this wonderful paper for assisting with motivating the England test side. I'm sure they were already pretty motivated but every little bit helps. I also fully support your whole-hearted efforts to generate some over-confidence in the Australian side.''

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Great result, but I think that things need to be put into context. Australia are a pretty poor team now, they are missing a lot of decent players. But the loss of Warne is the main thing. A top quality leg spinner like him could take wickets on any surface, where as a top notch off-spinner like Swan needs the correct wicket to destroy a team, which did not seem to be present in Australia. There are many other weak points but I think Warne carried the team a lot in the past. If England had defeated India in that manner it would be a different matter, but I reckon that they are the best team in world. Still the England team is coming on, and it is mainly down to top class bowlers. The batting is improving, but I still have a feeling that it still is not top notch and could collapse with decent bowling, like Mitchell Johnston did to them when he bowled really well for once in the match that Australia won. It's a good thing that Paul Collinwood has retired, he is a top notch fielder but is not good enough with the bat to be batting at the position in the batting order that he was.

Top Bottom