The bank of Grandad.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A month doesn't go by without one of the grand children or children asking me to lend them some money until the end of the month. I would like to know why do they assume that I always have it for them? I never ask any of them to lend me money because I run my finances properly. One of the grandchildren still owes me £2450 , which I will never get back as he said he is not paying me back anymore when I refused to lend him more.
Do we have a generation of kids that believe that money grows on trees and parents / grand parents are easy picking?
You are a right sucker.
Anyway of shaming them?
One of my daughter's asked me for money but only on the basis of not paying it back. A couple of grand to help buy her first property.
Second did ask for money but offered to pay back but only wanted it because her boyfriend was putting more money into a house they were buying than she was?
Her;- "I feel guilty about putting less money in than him"
Me;- "I don't"
Me;- "So no"

Give generously to grand children At birthdays and Christmas if you can afford it, but don’t act as their personal bank.
I am fairly sure banks expect you to pay back otherwise they send the baliffs round. So he is not acting as there bank... well piggy bank maybe!

My oldest daughter is probably a fair bit wealthier than me by a good margin (she's owned more new Porshes that I ever have), she's never asked.

Daughter 2 is an unemployed dole mole, and if she asked she wouldn't get.

I lent Daughter £10k to put down on a house, and my Dad matched it. She's a newly qualified accountant and earning very nicely now. She'd paid about half back, never missed a payment and proven to me her honesty and ethics, so me and my Dad each told her she could have the rest as a gift.

My oldest grandchild is still only 7, so hasn't asked me for any...yet.
They start with sweets and work up from there.

A month doesn't go by without one of the grand children or children asking me to lend them some money until the end of the month. I would like to know why do they assume that I always have it for them? I never ask any of them to lend me money because I run my finances properly. One of the grandchildren still owes me £2450 , which I will never get back as he said he is not paying me back anymore when I refused to lend him more.
Do we have a generation of kids that believe that money grows on trees and parents / grand parents are easy picking?
Yes.

on the basis that I cannot take it with me
Are you sure. Buy a coffin in advance, line the coffin with your money. Have a cremation and tell them in the will where it is.
Alternatively go for a grave burial and make them work for it.
Or better still bury it somewhere and leave the instructions in the coffin for where it is.
Better still at the place you said it is leave new instructions like "I buried it in the New forest look for it".
In the meantime give it to a charity for fallen women.
The ones you helped fall.

mustang1

Guru
Warning: this is an unhelpful and impractical post but I feel posting.

You should be like that guy in Death Wish. No one screws with him a second time. Just sayin'.

Grandchildren have learned this behaviour from their parents.
Where did their parents learn it?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
These two are not blood related to me. When I say these two , I mean just the eldest one really. My own blood related kids ( a boy and a girl) have never ask me for money cos they made their own way in life.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im afriad to say thats not true , my son is a mean, abusive and violent to us, he even stole my birthday cahs one year and we have tried so many ways to get help from youth workers, etc etc but no amount of raising them right works with some.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Im afriad to say thats not true , my son is a mean, abusive and violent to us, he even stole my birthday cahs one year and we have tried so many ways to get help from youth workers, etc etc but no amount of raising them right works with some.
Sorry to hear that cyberknight... hope he mellows and becomes more appreciative of you as he matures.

Top Bottom