The Battle of Liverpool Aldi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Got to Aldi this morning at 0830 for 0900 opening and was first in the cue for the running gear. I picked the jacket and trousers ...... and the woman behind me with a huge trolley swept EVERYTHING off the racks and legged it to the checkout hotly pursued by about at least 7 outraged customers who scooped up her stuff and split it between them amist lots of less than polite exchanges. Wonderful.... made my day...:smile: :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I refer the honourable gentleman to my reply to his other post re scallies.

And I thought that I was being regionalist!:smile:

yello

bobg said:
the woman behind me with a huge trolley swept EVERYTHING off the racks and legged it to the checkout

I know it's allowed and legal and all that, and Aldi don't really give a shoot, but I really do find that kind of thing disgusting. So frickin' selfish. I know I wouldn't do it; wouldn't have the bare faced gall for a start. I guess all is fair in love, war and business though.

How did she respond to the lynch mob? Did she end with anything at all? I bet she wasn't interested in just one of anything!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blimey - only got into one of my Aldi's at lunch - had to DRIVE to a meeting 40 miles away (I had thought of cycling.. but early o'clock wasn't good) so called in an Aldi on the way back home at lunch time.... got the last two pairs of running bottoms - thinking they would be a little less tight than my bib's - very little else available (even went to my local Aldi last night late on - space cleared, no stuff out...bugger)...

Well, went home and left the car to ride back to work - the Aldi bottoms are a loose tight fit- would probably be loose on a runner but a big thighed cyclist, they were OK - loose at the ankle ... but at £5.99 over the top of my proper cycling shorts they are fine for commuting....

I'm fed up with using clips with my trackie bottoms, but walking off the bike, trackie bottoms are less conspicuous !!! Bit tighter than I thought (but only had large size in stock) but they will be fine for commuting....good quality..not winter cold proof -good at letting air through... so thumbs up from me....

Just got to hope I don't shock to many colleagues or students walking through campus to my office.....

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Have to say, thanks Bobg for the heads up!
Just nipped up the road and bagged the last size large running bottoms they had, 20mins before closing!!

I've got mine on and they are a rather slinky fit.
fossyant, I think with shorts on underneath you are unlikely to 'scare the horses'.

bonj2

Ours does have signs up claiming that the goods for sale are for the buyer's use only and they will take all possible steps to stop the selling on of them.

The thing is, I doubt very much that they have any legal backing to this claim.

If the person is selling them on eBay and earning a profit which they then aren't declaring for tax purposes, then that is (presumably?) illegal. That aside, though, I doubt aldi have any legal basis for compelling customers not to resell items simply because that's not what it intends.
I'll reiterate my scepticism towards aldi products based on the fact that the zips keep breaking - I had an aldi cycling jacket that I was given, which was great (albeit not waterproof) apart from the fact that the zip kept coming undone from the bottom upwards, and then the zipper wouldn't move down. So I took it back, they were to their credit unobstructive in giving me a refund despite not having the receipt and the fact it wasn't me that bought it (but it was only £6.99).

On another occasion, I tried on a coat in the store and when I was trying to get it off, the zip bust, and I couldn't get it off. (After struggling with it for a bit I eventually got it off over my head.)

I have actually got a 3 in 1 jacket from there which I like however and touch wood the zip is still ok.

bobg said:
Got to Aldi this morning at 0830 for 0900 opening and was first in the cue for the running gear. I picked the jacket and trousers ...... and the woman behind me with a huge trolley swept EVERYTHING off the racks and legged it to the checkout hotly pursued by about at least 7 outraged customers who scooped up her stuff and split it between them amist lots of less than polite exchanges. Wonderful.... made my day...:blush: :ohmy:

THAT WOMAN wasn't yenrod in drag was it? I think we should be told... ;):biggrin:

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
rich p said:

And I thought that I was being regionalist!:biggrin:

:sad::biggrin: This was a well spoken lady in her 40's !! and I dont really blame the others for rebelling ( although I probably wouldnt have ) They seemed in the main to be just ordinary punters incensed at her arrogance. And yes TD, I think restricting each customer to a couple of item would be wise although policing it at the checkout might be tricky. I didnt stay to see what she had left in her trolley but I suspect very little! See did seem a little startled as she was being pursued towards the checkout ....
BTW I reckon the running bottoms are excellent, much better (for me) than the Ron Hills. I have a top which is a teeny bit tight if anybody missed out yesterday - best suited to someone with a 6pack rather than a party 7

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's down right rude to do stuff like this - what will happen is that Aldi will just stop doing bargains if idiots like this clear the shelves. I saw lots of the MTB shoes from Lidl on sale on ebay....

Will have to go early to the cycling sale in May just to get a couple of bits then...

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:

And I thought that I was being regionalist!:ohmy:

We learned when we did a week of roadshows in Liverpool that the local kids were very sensitive about being labelled thieves.

While simultaneously half-inching anything they could get their hands on...

Top Bottom