The BBC get it wrong, AGAIN!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
In July of this year I was cycling home and a car pulled out in front of me from a road on my left. I went through the drivers window at 30mph. The first thing it said on her witness statement was that she didnt see me. It then went on to say I was doing about 25mph and was in the middle of the road and if I was not in the middle of the road I would have gone around her. She also stated I my clothing was black.

If she didn't see you, how did she know how fast you were going and your road positioning?

If she didn't see you, how did she know how fast you were going and your road positioning?

That was one of the questions I asked the policeman. Never did get an answer.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The hypocrisy of the BBC, compelling presenters to wear helmets if cycling but it's fine for them to travel in a car without wearing a seatbelt. They distract real road safety efforts by promoting helmets yet eschew the proven effectiveness of seatbelts. Besides which, it's an offence and has been for many years!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29933556 (skip to 45sec)

GC

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Shared on twitter by Carlton Reid:
Leaked – BBC Breakfast running order for cycling safety week (goes to Flickr)

GC
Is that real?
BBC.jpg

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 3365276, member: 9609"]concentrations fell by 10% whilst listing to music[/QUOTE]

Portishead?

GC

Reactions: mjr

Dan B

Disengaged member
Has anyone found that it seems to be worse out there this week
The driving on my commute I've seen this week has been fcking awful. But I assumed this was just due to Clocks-Go-Back than any new developments on the Road Wars front. Hopefully in a few more days everyone will have remembered how to drive in the dark again.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 3365276, member: 9609"]I would have loved to raise the question does music also affect concentration levels of car van and wagon drivers, and should they also be advised to stop listening to music whilst driving?[/QUOTE]
http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/news/drivers-distracted-by-loud-music-1833 says "As many as 22 per cent of male drivers and 12 per cent of women motorists [in a survey of 1000] had had, or almost had, an accident due to listening to music."

Motorists, heal thyselves?

classic33

Leg End Member
Having worn hi vis gear at work for thirty years and seen the difference, especially at night or poor light I can't see a reasoned argument for not wearing it.
Not to wear - 1 - I don't see why I should take responsibility for my own safety - it's always someone else’s fault and of course 2 - I want to prove a point [even if it kills me].
Reasons to wear 1- you have to wear something anyway [if not it can get a bit chilly]. If you ride to work cycling gear and most work gear are not the same so you can't usually use the same stuff. 2 - it just isn't expensive. 3 - it might save your life - especially at night reflective strips etc really do work. Finally there are no statistics for accidents that don't happen. To say "oh x number of motorists passed just as close" is irrelevant - the point is they saw you anyway however close they came. Only by being involved in an accident and then duplicating the exact circumstances again [impossible] with different riding gear can the theory be in anyway proved.
Hi-Vis can't work at night due to the simple fact that the UV light in natural daylight isn't present. Hi-Vis also went by the name of dayglo for a few years. Why that name and why the change to Hi-Vis?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hi-Vis can't work at night due to the simple fact that the UV light in natural daylight isn't present. Hi-Vis also went by the name of dayglo for a few years. Why that name and why the change to Hi-Vis?
I normally assume the word Hi-Vis is a combination of bright colour and reflective bands. And that in some instances the size of the band etc is specified.

Top Bottom