The best band you've seen live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Many, all for different reasons:

Half Man Half Biscuit - Leicester Uni 1986. Fred Titmus!
The Pogues - Leicester Poly 1985. Mayhem.

What a man! My faves are HMHB at the Liverpool Academy in 2007 and Ian Dury and the Blockheads at Manchester Apollo in July 79

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Too many, but these stand out in my memory...

The Delgados
Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Probably John Cooper Clarke with The Invisible Girls at Birmingham University in the early 1980s. He was on form, they played really well, and I was drunk enough to really get into it but not so far gone that I fell asleep in a corner somewhere, which is what I tended to do in those days! :whistle:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
See a few bands, and in their own way they're all good.

U2, Depeche Mode, Spandau Ballet.

I find big stadium gigs to be a little too remote and impersonal, and prefer more provincial gigs for an intimate connection with the band.

As such I love Electric 6, and they're in the UK again this autumn so catch them if you can, they're doing the 'Fire' album.

But for me, in recent times, the best I have seen for pure unadulterated audience connection and value for money is a band called Urban Voodoo Machine. They perform with between 8 and 15 people on stage doing a heady mixture of blues/gypsy/punk/mariachi with a liberal sprinkling of burlesque thrown in for good measure.

Sept 22 will see me watching them in Leeds....

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 2028550, member: 1314"]That Petrol Emotion '88. Pogues '89. Steve Earle '89. Cornershop '90. Bad Brains '91. The Bunnymen '10. The Beat '12.[/quote]

I saw Steve Earle at the T&C bit before that, 86/87 I rec, good stuff. And the Bunnys exactly 30 years before '10, take it he was still good then!?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Brewer's Droop were good (as I remember) in the Reading Students' Union bar in 1972. Orchestra Baobab a few years ago in London were good, as were Los Lobos.

aberal

Veteran
Eddie & the Hot Rods. Aberdeen University Students Union 1977. Seen nothing like them before or since. The best I never saw live are Dr. Feelgood.

Seen more bands live than I've had hot dinners but one of my early memories was seeing yes perform all of the yes album at barking college in 1971.

yes I know I'm an old prog rocker!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Gillian Welch, Melody Gardot, Alison Krauss & Union Station or The Cure. So stylistically different impossible to say who was 'best'.

Top Bottom