The Best Book That You Have Ever Read ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

Flying_Monkey said:
Ah! Ecotopia...
I've visited so many times, but when I tried to stay
It slipped into the hazy future,
or the lonely past? Which one I couldn't say.
And now we seem to meet
Another traveller on that same road west,
Now tell us, pilgrim - was it for the best?

Ok. Stop it now!

Birdsong

great; nuff said

Windy

Having 'done' flippant (and uncovered a can of worms in the process), perhaps it's my turn to 'do' serious.

Problem is, I really can't choose! I'm not really well-read, but I suppose I have got through a lot of books in my lifetime!
LOTR: after first ploughing through it as a teen, probably the one I re-read the most number of times. Loved delving deeper into it picking out more detail. And I can quote a lot of it verbatim. Very good prose but by no means my best read: indeed the last part somewhat drags. And too much of a cult subject, I don't really go for cults.
Dickens? No. I recall vividly reading out the entire David Copperfield to my lad when he was still (age about 7) to young to read it but old enough to take it in. It was worth it just to hear his squeals of delight each time I assumed the 'Micawber' voice. But I don't like Dickens' plot lines.
Moby Dick I think it's probably my favourite read - and one of the funniest - for the first dozen chapters or so. After that it drags intolerably. They should stay on dry land. I never finished the book. But it was worth mentioning.
OK: more modern. I think The Constant Gardener is one of the best-written I've come across, superb characterization and plot, and writing style. But so depressing, so much the opposite of 'feelgood', I can't really stomach it.
Decline and Fall (Evelyn Waugh) Hilarious and superb ending, but the racist episodes preclude it. Of course it was written for a different age.

So: I've nominated a few runners up, but no champion yet. Keep thinking.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey is quite fun - more drawings than words so an easy read and as they say 'a picture's worth a thousand words' so probably a wordy tome in reality.

jimboalee

threebikesmcginty said:
The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey is quite fun - more drawings than words so an easy read and as they say 'a picture's worth a thousand words' so probably a wordy tome in reality.

Down with skool! by Geoff Willans. Illustrations by Ronald Searle.

Particularly like the sausages.

raindog

er.....
Bandini said:
One of my favourite 'feel good' books. Cannery Row is similar, and also very good.
Yes, the big four from Steinbeck are
Grapes
Mice
Tortilla
Cannery
Can't get tired of reading and re-reading good books. ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
mangaman said:
Good call Fnaar, I'd forgotten The Dubliners - one of my faves.

I can remember where I was when I read it (aged 18 - on holiday) which I often find is true of my reall favourite books.

The last story in particular "The Dead" is superb and very moving at the end

Absolutely. A superbly-written story. Excellent fillum, too...

Top Bottom