The best *one line* from song lyrics?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
nnnNNOO. :gun: AARRGGHH
CHRISTMAS TIME, MISTLETOE AND WINE
CHILDREN SINGING CHRISTIAN RHYME!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I once had to sign that song, and many other Xmas ditties, over and over again in a shopping centre to raise money for Hearing Dogs for Deaf People. My hands still start to twitch when I hear it, and not in a good way.
God, what a vision of hell.

slowwww

Veteran
I fully agree re 'Like a rolling stone'. My favourite being "when you ain't got nothing, you got nothign to lose".

On a lighter note, I also love the whimsy of Elivis Costello's "..they call her Natasha but she looks like Elsie" from 'I don't want to go to Chelsea'

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
''Finished with my woman, 'cos she could not help me with my mind'' -good old Ozzy and the gang

Acyclo

Veteran
I've got to agree with ColinJ and Luddite Joe, almost every line by JCC is worthy. Even when he's advertising chips: 'Their smiles could launch a thousand ships, and all because they're 'avin' chips.'

But check out this line from Psycle Sluts parts 1 and 2: 'twin-wheeled existentialists steeped in the sterile excrements of a doomed democracy, whose post-nietzschean sensibilities reject the bovine gregariousness of a senile oligarchy'. Get the whole thing here:
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SmM5ygFOso

Last edited:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I think I'm alone in HATING the Johnny Cash version. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big JC fan, and I LOOOOOOVE most of the 'American' stuff, but that song (and the vid) just seem incongruous to me, they just don't go with JC, I'm afraid. Most of the song works, but the 'hurt' bit (if meant physically) just doesn't work for me.

I'm with you on Hurt, in my opinion he's done a couple of half decent songs but mainly he's a bit of an old ham.

LutherB

'Taxes, death and trouble, this I know' - Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man

'Son, I am thirty, I only went with your mother 'cos she's dirty' - Happy Mondays - Kinky Afro

'She's gone and it's quiet now, took her mother with her, left town' - Tindersticks - She's Gone

Last edited:
Top Bottom