The best present you ever received.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone remember?.Bako i think that's it's name.A green base and red and white building blocks with steel rods.You could build houses and bungalows.And what about two metal rollers called Owzat a cricket game.One roller had scores on 1-2-3-4-and so on and OWZAT you then rolled the other which had not out -bowled-caught-lbw and so on.Kept me entertained for years and taught me to add up.Never forget Brian Close got 200 not out , well ok i may have rolled it twice.Filled up hundreds of score books.

It's now in the childhood section of York Museum for anyone wanting to catch up with the days when health warnings on toys were really necessary.

Best present I ever got was an art encyclopaedia for my 21st birthday. People I worked with bought it for me and when I opened it I thought, whatever possessed them to think I'd like this. It hung around on shelves for years and I looked into it every now and then. Eventually, I developed a real interest in painting and art history which has informed holidays and free time as well as filling empty hours waiting for transport in strange towns.

ChrisKH

Guru
I struggle on this one.

Nearest I suppose would be my first road bike at age 12/13 - Puch 7 gear I think (some little git stole it). That bike went everywhere. When I was 14 I got a two man tent which also went with the bike everwhere; I had some great adventures with my pals and even on my own.

In terms of sheer personal pleasure; I had no musical direction until the age of 14. I was heavily into skateboarding and was watching a clip on the television with accompanying music which I loved. Eventually found out what it was and got the album for my birthday - Yes: Going for the One. I played that record to bits. Turned into a bit of a hippy after that.

domtyler

Über Member
A girlfriend of mine once had her father tell her "I've got you something pretty special this year my love", on the morning of her birthday, "we have to go outside to see it". Outside they went and he led her down the road to the house where one of his neighbours, an old women, had just died. "Oh my god", she thought to herself, "he's bought me a house, oh my god, oh my god...". They went into the house, he had the keys on him and everything, and he showed her the present.... an old twin tub washing machine! Needless to say she was pretty devastated!!

Top Bottom