The best present you ever received.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k-dog

Lego.

Longish story. I was looking at old Christmas photos a few years ago and saw a big red go-kart in some. I asked my mum about it because I didn't remember having that. I was told that I didn't like it - it looked great and that's not really like me - so they took it back. They were standing in the toyshop wondering what to exchange it for and were looking at Lego - but you could only get one decent set for the money. A lady overheard my parents and offered to sell them her old stuff for the same money. I got tons of it - all great sets with the instructions all there. I've got the really retro Fire Station and a few other old sets.

Years of happiness.

I just bought some more too - Batman Lego, how cool is that. My boys are just about old enough to play with it - I try it once in a while but they still just throw it around and that gets me irritated.

Melvil

k-dog said:
Lego.

Longish story. I was looking at old Christmas photos a few years ago and saw a big red go-kart in some. I asked my mum about it because I didn't remember having that. I was told that I didn't like it - it looked great and that's not really like me - so they took it back. They were standing in the toyshop wondering what to exchange it for and were looking at Lego - but you could only get one decent set for the money. A lady overheard my parents and offered to sell them her old stuff for the same money. I got tons of it - all great sets with the instructions all there. I've got the really retro Fire Station and a few other old sets.

Years of happiness.

I just bought some more too - Batman Lego, how cool is that. My boys are just about old enough to play with it - I try it once in a while but they still just throw it around and that gets me irritated.

Lego - especially the old kind - is ace. I still remember some of my more memorable creations, including HMS Hermes, I think it was, right down to the ski jump!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
A few years back, me and the group of lads I hung about with, when going to the social club for a pre xmas dinner pint or three made a pact that you had to wear the jumper that your mom bought you for xmas. Boy was there some sights! I think we must have spilt more beer than we drunk pishin ourselves laughing !
HAPPY DAYS !!!

vbc

My first ever bike for my 13th birthday in, erm...1971. A late starter I know but it was a 5 speed Raleigh Olympus racer and it was the dogs danglies!

BFB...Wish I'd had Made in Japan also!

stevenb

I remember one year my dad got me a snooker table.....I sneaked into his bedroom to look at the box loads of times. He'd set it up for me that Xmas eve so that in the morning when I walked into the living room I jumped for joy and beemed in delight....totally gobsmacked and very very happy.
Equally was my first classy bike. I was 10 Years old...my Dad bought me a Puch mountain bike with 6 gears......I was amazed. Then when I was 14 He bought me a Raleigh Magnum mountian bike. It was sleeky black with mudguards and 15 gears. Then it got trashed when I was knocked off my bike by a car driver doing my paper round. :biggrin:

postman

Legendary Member
Can anyone remember?.Bako i think that's it's name.A green base and red and white building blocks with steel rods.You could build houses and bungalows.And what about two metal rollers called Owzat a cricket game.One roller had scores on 1-2-3-4-and so on and OWZAT you then rolled the other which had not out -bowled-caught-lbw and so on.Kept me entertained for years and taught me to add up.Never forget Brian Close got 200 not out , well ok i may have rolled it twice.Filled up hundreds of score books.

At risk of sounding really sad, my birthday present in 1987 has to get the prize for longevity. A Peugeot 10-speed road bike. It's still in use today, a little rusty and on the second set of wheels, but still going strong.

Most useful present I've had as an adult- the digital camera that Boyfriend Hamster bought me. Ever since then the 35mm has only been out once, for a trip to Chernobyl when I took both cameras.

In chronological order:
My first Hornby train set (my dad built me a baseboard and I had a little goods train pulled by an engine like Duck out of "Thomas the Tank Engine"). Still got it somewhere.
A pedal car.
My first bike (a Dawes Kingpin, bought by my Grandad; I eventually broke it in half doing jumps, which it was obviously never designed to do:biggrin:).
My first guitar.

Top Bottom