The best way to complain about poor road surfaces.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
There's a road 200 yards (Amersall Road to Jossey Lane, Doncaster) from my house that was 'repaired' a few years ago after a new gas pipe was laid. Last year it deteriorated significantly. The resultant p155 poor surface means that the 2/3rds of the left side of the road is not usable on the road bike. This forces me out near the centre lines. As I hit 20+ mph, I'm not concerned about holding up cars behind me as the poor stretch ends at a T-junction anyway. The problem is when there are cars parked on the right side of the road. This means I have to;
A/ Stay left and ride uber slowly over several dozen pot holes.
B/ Stay in the middle and risk the oncoming traffic.
C/ Ride on the pavement, which is just as bumpy.
D/ Go back on the hybrid which hardly notices the bumps.
I tend to stay out to the right and slow to a crawl if I have to pull in and brave the potholes to let traffic past, but really this road should be fixed to a level that allows road bikes to navigate it without risk of damage/injury.

I tried lodging a complaint with "Fillthathole" about 4 months ago, but heard diddly squat back.

Has anyone had more success? Should I write straight to the council, or will that be ignored?

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I emailed the council after I hit a pot hole on my hybrid,which made sort of swing out to my right into the path of a car behind me, which lucklily swerved.

I headed the email

"almost got killed cycling on one of your roads" and explained what had happened

two weeks later the hole was filled

JRob

I'd try your local Highways Department. I reported a pothole at the beginning of this year and it was fixed the next day. The process (not sure if this is the same everywhere tho) was that they got someone out really quickly to assess and then decided on priority.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I had a section of road near me which was terrible on any bike. It was about 0.4 miles long and I had to sallalom around the potholes. There were that many that I couldnt report any individual ones. I didnt report it and now the whole road has been relayed.

There is still a bit just like yours near a set of traffic lights. A strip goes right across the road and I am forced into the center of my lane, or right next to the cerb to avoid it. Putting me in a dangerous position either way. It is fairly easy to just swerve around but I shouldnt have to do that.

My council are quite good with responding to you about certain things. I have never reported a pothole before though so wouldnt know the direct response from them. Just inform the council and keep following it up every few weeks or so. Make sure you speak so someone as well.

Top Bottom