The Big Fight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Without having watched it (yet) my money is on the cat.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Round at my neighbour's the other day her cat suddenly appeared wanting some nibbles. My Mutt having tasted them before thinks they are his :rolleyes:. He's not 'anti cat', he just doesn't know what they are :scratch:. I asked her to hold him back, thinking he might want to fight her (cat not neighbour) for the nibbles as I think he might've received a good beating.:boxing: :B)

1642646001977.png

1642646029699.png

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
(I have just been messing about to fill some winter hours!)

Ladies and Gentlemen, in the blue corner we have a border terrier weighing not very much, and in the red corner we have a cat weighing even less.

Tonight's fight is over a single 20 second round...

No animals were hurt in the making of this video! :smile:

The cat has a much better technique, picking of the dog as he lunges in. The dog needs a lot of training to make it in the fight game....:laugh:

Using a Van-Tam-ism, I'd call that one a score draw :laugh:

A previous cat of mine used to delight in terrorizing the neighbourhood dogs. The smaller the dog, the less he liked it - he beat up the Mayor's terrier of indeterminate breed at the pet service in Ely Cathedral back in the day. The paper tried to get a photo of Toby, who was the only cat at the service, with the Mayor. It did not go well... :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The dog clearly thinks that the household cats are part of his pack - he plays with both of them as if they are other dogs. That particular cat often walks alongside the dog when he is taken out, so I think the cat might think it is a dog too!

What I find really odd is that the dog barks at and chases all other cats he encounters but he can recognise that cat in the dark from 50 metres away. There are very similar-looking other cats in the neighbourhood that I can't distinguish from the family cat, but he can. He barks at them but not his feline 'sister'. :wacko:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The dog clearly thinks that the household cats are part of his pack - he plays with both of them as if they are other dogs. That particular cat often walks alongside the dog when he is taken out, so I think the cat might think it is a dog too!

What I find really odd is that the dog barks at and chases all other cats he encounters but he can recognise that cat in the dark from 50 metres away. There are very similar-looking other cats in the neighbourhood that I can't distinguish from the family cat, but he can. He barks at them but not his feline 'sister'. :wacko:
our Cavalier used to exactly the same, bark at and chase after other household's cats but tolerate our cats, to the point of occasional friendliness. She didn't even bother if a cat went into her crate or had a sniff at her food (she did clean up their food if she managed to slip through the door unnoticed though - greedy sod!)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
They are clearly playing nicely and not getting too rough, particularly the cat, as they often get carried away and claws come out

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

They are clearly playing nicely and not getting too rough, particularly the cat, as they often get carried away and claws come out
The first time I saw one of those fights I was very alarmed. The dog was 'play biting'! :eek: His little jaws were clacking like castanets a few cms from the cat's face, but never making contact. Every now and then the cat would slap the dog across his chops.

It did worry me that he might accidentally catch the cat with one of those nips, in which case I reckon instinct would take over and he'd get a clawed snout. I saw a cat do that to an aggressive terrier once and his nostrils just split down the middle, which put him right off his attack!

Last edited:
A good friend has two miniature schnauzers who think they *are* cats. Mind, they live with a dozen assorted felines, and you'll often find the dogs and cats piled up in one bed together. The boss of the household though, is a tiny 2kg tortie & white who takes absolutely no prisoners. Step out of line, and she'll biff you, and that applies regardless of your species.

A cat's claws are probably one of nature's most deadly non-venomous weapons, and yet they can put out one claw and use it with great dexterity to winkle out a treat or whatever. (Cats' claws are protractile btw, not retractile as is commonly thought.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A cat's claws are probably one of nature's most deadly non-venomous weapons, and yet they can put out one claw and use it with great dexterity to winkle out a treat or whatever. (Cats' claws are protractile btw, not retractile as is commonly thought.)
Or (apparently) protrusible, neither of which words I had heard of before!

That makes sense. "I will only claw you if I actually want to" rather than "Oops - sorry for clawing you - I forgot to retract my claws"!

Or (apparently) protrusible, neither of which words I had heard of before!

That makes sense. "I will only claw you if I actually want to" rather than "Oops - sorry for clawing you - I forgot to retract my claws"!

Or... I will stick one claw in your bum because I have a whim that needs catering to this instant.

DAMHIKT... :laugh:

Mind, my tortie can pack a punch (sans claws) that can make you see stars. Unsurprising really, given that cats will use their "jab" to stun prey prior to delivering the killing bite.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
(Cats' claws are protractile btw, not retractile as is commonly thought.
does that mean you can use them to measure angles?:laugh:

Every day is a school day. I guess that means natural state is "claws in" and it actively shoves them out, which makes sense.

thanks

does that mean you can use them to measure angles?:laugh:

Every day is a school day. I guess that means natural state is "claws in" and it actively shoves them out, which makes sense.

thanks

Indeed. :smile:

A cat's toes are curled (for the want of a better description) in their relaxed state. The claws come out when they straighten and spread their toes.

Top Bottom