The British winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graham56

Guru
Funny how everyone is able to make it to work in the snow except teachers, they must have a phobia about it

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I spoke to someone once about winter 1947. They said a main road had snow stacked up on it for 3 months solid and you couldn't walk down the road as such you had to walk on top of very tall walls which the stacked snow cleared. 93/94 or 94/5 was the last vaguely proper winter here. The worst winters I experienced was when I was very small 82/3 and 83/4. Quite a few relatives died in the bad winter of 1979.

barq

2001/2: I was living in Bearwood, Birmingham. The central heating was broken for over a month (landlord was overseas, although to be fair he had things fixed within hours once we finally got hold of him). My flatmate escaped to stay with her family in Bartley Green, my then boyfriend was back in Sussex so I got left with my kitten and a fan heater to stay warm. I moved the freezer into my bedroom because I discovered the back of it was warm - that's how bad things were. I could make an individual room warm with the heater, but the total lack of hot water was the real killer. I also had to divert heat to rooms like the bathroom to stop the pipes freezing. Outside the snow wasn't particularly deep but it had compacted into a sheet of ice which made any excursion from my house (on a steep hill) treacherous. I think I drank a lot of red wine that winter. :biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
77 or 78 was bad in Peterborough.
We dont see much snow here...dont larff, something to do with the lay of the land.
But 77 or 78, i remember the dual carriageways were invisible for 1 or 2 weeks...just a snowscape with trees either side.
Thorpe Wood roundabout, which is kinda sunken and banked all round, the snow was compacted so deep, they had to use JCBs to dig it out...days after the rest of the snow had melted.
Was it last year or the year before when we had subzero temps for a couple of weeks....not much snow, but ferkin freezin :biggrin:

graham56

Guru
Don`t want to sound like a Monty Python sketch Barq, but as a lad lived in a house without central heating or inside toilet tilli was 13,can still remember the ice on the inside of the windows on winter mornings, we must have been as hard as nails.

Blue

Legendary Member
Another vote for 1963.

I was 8 and had a week-end job on the local milk round. I still recall getting extra pay for turning out for work - I came from a dirt poor background and earning extra cash made an impact as I recall that rather than the snow itself!!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
1963 for me. Sledging for weeks and weeks and weeks :biggrin:

My F-in-L was a conscript in the army in 1947. The lads burnt anything they could lay their hands on in camp (nissan huts) - loo seats, doors..... Eventually the army sent them home as they couldn't look after them in camp :biggrin: .

gbb

Legendary Member
graham56 said:
Don`t want to sound like a Monty Python sketch Barq, but as a lad lived in a house without central heating or inside toilet tilli was 13,can still remember the ice on the inside of the windows on winter mornings, we must have been as hard as nails.

That sounds familiar graham...
in the late 60s, early 70s we lived in RAF quarters.
One coke burner in the kitchen, a coal fire in the living room............and that was it.
Frost on the insides was regular. We used to wake up, lay under the covers shivering....and you could see the 'steam' coming out your mouth.

'Ard...i'll show you 'ard...:biggrin::biggrin:

Where in Northumberland are you from graham ???

barq

graham56 said:

Well I don't envy you, but I bet you had an open fire. I think in my case it is more a story about the inadequacy of many modern homes to cope with lack of heating. Just don't have the equipment to boil large amounts of water, or even a decent blanket. It did change the way I view cold - I now stick another layer of clothes on rather than turn up the heat.

I remember stuff freezing up, pint glasses of water even. You could see your breath in the daytime. I'm sure others have had it worse, but it wasn't fun.

noggin

81/82 equalled coldes Uk temp. just up the road at Braemar -27c
I remember putting the bin out that night and even in the tenemnet steps where we stayed in first floor flat the stairs were gistening with frost inside
all pipes froze of course and had nae water for a week
decamped to mother-in-laws - one night the Mrs lasted- back to cold cold cold flat
got water by bucket from shop a couple of doors away

Top Bottom