The Cheshire Ring (Update)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
so last Friday me and a friend decided to do the Cheshire ring ,a 100+ mile ride around Cheshire along the canal footpath which essentially due to a number of reasons we didn't quite complete. we did manage to do 96 miles and are planning to do a 100+mile charity ride around Cheshire again next month to help raise money for a men's suicide charity CALM.
what we learnt from our first attempt was to set off earlier (preferably around 5am) and stop little and often instead of not often and long breaks.
the main downfall of this ride is that when i planned the route i had set an average speed of around 13 mph but when we got past Warrington at the 50 mile mark the canal footpath was quite bad for miles meaning we were probably averaging around 5mph if that. our next attempt will have more road riding in hopefully meaning that we can get home before 10pm this time, we also had 3 punctures which we expected due to thorns on the canal but what i didn't plan for was my gear shifter to give up and randomly fall to pieces leaving me in the highest gear for the rest of the journey this happened around 50 miles in which wasn't ideal.my friend also had bike issues, his is electric and he bought it brand new but hes been having issues with it since he got it mainly the battery which is this instance wouldn't come on due to a faulty connection which meant he was pedaling a heavy bike with no assistance. all in all this ride gave us good experience on where we went wrong and what to do for next time, we are planning on doing the charity ride at the end of next month sometime and will be getting sponsorships, we are also going to fix the bikes and get road tyres fitted as we both had off road tires on. also it will be done in fancy dress were not sure what yet.

again any advice is welcome (y)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
13mph average on a canal is too high. Well done on giving it a go. Bet your backs were in agony after. I'm thinking of just doing the loop of Manchester on Peak, Ashton, Bridgewater canals and TPT back home, but that's about 40 miles. Took a friend about 3-4 hours on a cross bike.

Off road is a lot slower than on road as you've found.

Will your pal get his battery to last 100miles ? You'd need a big battery ?

96 miles is amazing going.

tom73

Guru
:bravo:For trying it off road will be slower so go with it and enjoy the ride.
Great charity to pick too so easy for men's mental health issues to be forgotten.

OP
OP
C
Off road is a lot slower than on road as you've found.

Will your pal get his battery to last 100miles ? You'd need a big battery ?

96 miles is amazing going.
his battery range is around 90miles so the plan was to go from macclesfield to manchester without assisstance then put it on low around 20-30 miles in or when he feels he needs it so he had some juice for the end. unfortunatly he didnt get to the end haha

Top Bottom